PDA

View Full Version : EVERGLADES NP Latest Update

Filemon Lopez
01-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Has anyone gone to ENP recently? I am thinking about going tomorrow and Saturday and wanted to get the latest update.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Filemon

Alfred Forns
01-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi Filemon Have been keeping track of ENP Anhinga Trail is slow since the water levels are very high but further down toward Flamingo things are better. Lots of Ospreys nesting and owls have been working close to the marina.

Filemon Lopez
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Happy New Year Al! Thanks for the update. I may venture out tomorrow to Flamingo and Mazrek Pond.

Judd Patterson
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I just ran by Anhinga Trail this evening...again quite slow...but a few herons and nesting anhingas to provide some interest. Unfortunatley none of the nesting anhingas are in great locations yet.

Hey Alfred, what kind of owls have you seen down at Flamingo? I suspect that Barred (and maybe Barn) are common in the area. I've also heard of an elusive Short-eared Owl around Eco Pond.

Michael Pancier
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
we saw 2 American Kestrals, a barn owl, spoons, and wood storks at Flamingo/Eco Pond yesterday afternoon; some white pelicans in flight; and active osprey nests.

Mazrek pond had a few storks and egrets in the afternoon feeding.

in the morning, you can find hawks along the road to pahayokee. I saw a few 2 weeks ago.

I attached an owl shot. it was too dark when he came out to work the field and didn't have the flash hooked up.

Filemon Lopez
01-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the update. Nice shot.

Blake Shadle
01-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I'll be camping down in ENP this coming weekend (9th & 10th). I'll be heading home Sunday afternoon. I'll be starting with Anhinga Trail on Saturday morning and then work my way down to Flamingo after that. I'll be doing a lot of off the beaten path exploring for unique opportunities. I'll have my good friend Philip with me.

Just FYI in case anybody happens to be in the area ;)

Much love,

Blake

Alfred Forns
01-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Might see you there overlord At times there have been some birds at Mizerak Pond. Real nice light late afternoon. ........ bugs a little more active than usual !!!

Judd I did hear about the short eared from a birder but did not see it. The one hanging around is a Barn but comes out so late is just about impossible to get without going to 6400.

Blake Shadle
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll keep an out for ya ;) Thanks for the tip on Mrazek. I'll update this thread after I've been down there.

Judd Patterson
01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
It sure was nice to run into Blake and Philip in the field on Saturday. Hope you guys had great luck on Sunday!

Recent weather in the park has been absolutely gorgeous. We have had a lot of typical winter weather with lows in the mid 50's with highs in the mid 70's. Early morning fog is likely in portions of the park and fair weather mid-morning to mid-afternoon cumulous clouds rule the sky.

Anhinga Trail remains a bit tricky. There are some nice birds in the area (American Bittern, juvenile Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Purple Gallinule, etc.) but it takes patience and a little luck to get photographs. There are lots of Anhinga in breeding plumage (and even a nest with some surprisingly old chicks), but much of the action is difficult to catch from the boardwalk. Watch for Anhinga in flight with sticks for nesting material! There is also a scattering of smaller birds including gnatcatchers, White-eyed Vireos, Eastern Phoebe, etc. I heard a Barred Owl and Pileated Woodpecker in the cypress dome where the vultures like to roost...but no up close visits.

There is a nice collection of ducks (including Northern Pintail and Green-winged Teal) in Mrazek Pond. I also saw a couple spoonbills, including one with gorgeous color. Timed right and they could be close to shore.

I hear rumors that Eco Pond is very nice in the early morning with lots of waders, but I've also heard the exact opposite from photographers who have made the trek recently. Fickle birds!! :)

At Flamingo there are several Osprey pair incubating eggs. Time will tell if they hatch out hungry little chicks that require frequent feedings. While Blake, Philip, and I waited for a lazy male Osprey to bring fish (never did!!) we spotted a beautiful Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It was beyond the range of our gear, but it sure was a fine bird to see!

That's the Everglades report for now! See you in the field.

Adams Serra
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Judd,
Thank you for the up date, I have never been there before,I am looking forward to go there one day.

Adams

Blake Shadle
01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Judd, it was great having the chance to spend some time out in the field with ya. Always an enjoyable experience.

Good update on the ENP.

I highly recommend heading out to some of the cypress domes off of the main road. You'll feel like you're in another world. I've got GPS coords to one of my absolute favorites. Full of avian activity, mainly warblers and other small peeps.

I'll try to post some images from the weekend some time this week.