PDA

View Full Version : Spider In The Sink

Julie Kenward
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Taken about...oh...20 minutes ago...I was emptying out a glass when something moved in the sink below. Good thing I had my camera and macro lens right there with me! Down I went into the depths of a fairly disturbing sink (it looked clean before I took a macro lens to it!) and I came up with this image.

So, here he is, making his portrait debut, the spider in the sink. :D

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f4.5 @ 1/30th, ISO 500
Manual mode, pattern metering, Sunny WB
Handheld, natural and incandescent lighting plus fill flash
Processed in ACR & CS4; slight crop, levels adjustment, vignette added for effect.

Gus Cobos
12-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Excellent Lady Julie,
I like this very much. I like the depth of field, the contrast and the splash of color. The spider is placed just right in frame...well done...:)
Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year and God's Blessing...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I would have been out of there Jules!!! Was this a prop from an Alfrec Hitchcock movie??? I never would have been able to hold the camera still for this shot! Great DOF on those eyes and pincers:)

Julie Kenward
12-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Jackie, seriously, he wasn't even the size of a dime! That's the only reason I got right down in there with him! :eek::D:eek:

denise ippolito
12-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Jules, Well done! I don't care much for spider shots but the color of the little guy is nice-The stainless brush marks add alot to the composition esp. since they are on a diagonal-love the water drops also!! The BG is terrific as well!!! Nice details

Jackie Schuknecht
01-01-2009, 08:25 AM
The power of macro, thanks for pointing that out Jules.

Anita Bower
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm amazed at the sharpness of the head of this little spider. How you managed that handheld is beyond me. Great job.

Julie Kenward
01-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Anita, I was practically laying on top of the sink...plenty of areas to brace my arms so handheld was no problem. Plus...I'm a "handhold" kinda gal...only use a tripod when I have to. I get more practice handholding and have learned many of the techniques to make handholding more stable and that gives me good balance when I need it!

Mike Moats
01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey Jules, isn't he cute :D Looks like a lensbaby shot with that tiny sharp area and the rest all blured.

Aristotle Georgiou
01-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Great shot Jules!

I like the composition, nice detail and great mood to this shot.