PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl robbing prey from a harrier

Barry Goggin
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
A snowy owl has taken up residence in an abandoned baseball field in the Meadowlands, NJ near Giants Stadium. Perched up on the old floodlights, it swoops down on an unsuspecting Northern Harrier which has just landed with some prey.
The weather was terrible with misty rain and fog but I couldn't resist the action. Any thoughts? thanks

Canon 20D with 400 F5.6L. 400iso 1/200 F5.6 tripod.

Terry Sohl
12-29-2008, 07:58 PM
You did a great job in this situation. Very nice that you can see the eye of the snowy over his shoulder. Nice composition, and you definitely get the feel for the "story" of what was happening.

David Hemmings
12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow, this is something you dont see everyday! Love the scene, wish the birds were closer together and bigger in the frame.

Barry Goggin
12-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks David and Terry. Its a tough area to shoot because you have baseball fences and a major highway into Manhattan behind. From talking to birders there, this apparently isnt the only incident with the harrier so maybe I will get lucky again.

Getting bigger in the frame, I would need a longer lens (hopefully soon). Any closer and I would interfere with the bird. I do have some shots with the birds closer together but not nice angles on the birds and no eye on the owl. I will be back there and see if i can improve on this.

There is a second snowy somewhere around there also. Big irruption this year. Thanks

Joe Senzatimore
12-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Great action shown in this image. Nice work with the conditions you had.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Great behavior captured. Adding to the other comments, I would raise the color temperature. The owl's plumage has a blue cast as presented.

Barry Goggin
12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks Axel. Will try that.