PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harrier

Dave Leroy
12-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Sitting on a post enjoying a bit of sunshine. 50D, 400/5.6 at 1/1600. f5.6, ISO400, av, EC2/3

Kerry Perkins
12-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Dave, this is a very nice capture with your 50D. I also shoot with this camera, and find that the RAW images need a bit of sharpening and WB correction, which I have done here. Also, I immediately wanted to crop this image like this so hope you don't mind! It puts the negative space to the right, where the bird is looking.

Desmond Chan
12-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Usually when I see northern harrier, they're flying, and - not surprisingly - a distance away. And so I never knew what they actually looked like if not because of your photo. Now I have a better idea. Thank you, Dave !

Oh, I like the color of yours better. I don't mind the background, but I would prefer not to leave so much room on the left of the photo when the harrier was looking to its left.

Harold Davis
12-29-2008, 05:31 AM
kerry nailed the crop! would have liked to have seen you pan the camera right to give the space to the front of where the bird is looking. i like the inclusion of the environment which is lost in the repost.

Nonda Surratt
12-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Love Harriers!!! And while I agree with more to the right I love the habitat, Harriers are all about habitat, at least to me.

So while I might take some off the left really I would just remove the green stick running across his back and let it ride. I would also next time try and move so the sun is more over your shoulder. Easier said than done with these guys.
High point they are pretty predicable, time wise, and perch wise, spook wise??

Anyway I quite like this!

denise ippolito
12-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Dave, I like Kerry's crop- but feel the orig. has better color, I like the orig. crop if the bird was facing the other way-nice job handling the light! well done!

Dave Leroy
12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Kerry for repost. I am still getting used to the effects of resizing and what it does to sharpness/contrast/saturation. I do like the 50D, but the files are huge.
The consensus seems to be more room to the right and leave some habitat. I had room to right and cropped the other way. Go figure.
Thanks Nonda for the bird behaviour tips. Getting south of these birds means getting colder and wetter, but you are right; it is the best spot.
Dave

Jackie Schuknecht
12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Great shot Dave. I like the habitat included. Would have to play around a while til you get what you like. The rule seems to be looking right more habitat to the right, and vice versa. Just find that tall weed/branch distracting. Otherwise great details and light.

Gus Cobos
12-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Dave,
I like the capture and image...agree with the techs. and comments mentioned...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Oscar Zangroniz
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Great capture Dave. You have excellent details on the bird. I also like seeing the habitat.

Rich Williams
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Great photo. I like the habitat in your photo and color and sharpness look good on my monitor. To me the tall weed becomes a distraction when you crop it vertically. The way you cropped the photo, the weeds actually frame the bird and make it more of a focal point.