PDA

View Full Version : Black Turnstone

Terry Sohl
12-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I had a nice morning around the Land's End area of San Francisco recently during a business trip. I specifically wanted to target the "rocky" shorebirds, and was pleased to find good numbers of these guys and Surfbirds in mixed foraging flocks.

Canon 50D, 400 5.6L, ISO 400, 1/1000, f6.3, 430EX @ -1 2/3rds.

David Hemmings
12-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Love the composition and the habitat in this image Terry, very nicely done:)

Doug Brown
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Like the pose and eye contact. Sharpness looks good. I would crop some off the bottom and the right (maybe a touch off the left for balance) in order to feature the bird more prominently in the frame.

Juan Aragonés
12-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Hey Terry I like the composition, eye contact and sharpness a lot. On the other hand, I think that the Bg doesn´t helps in this image due to the fact that both the plumage and BG looks pretty similar and made difficult to isolate the main subject from the BG. A more OOF BG or lower angle would work much better.

Daniel Cadieux
12-29-2008, 07:09 AM
I agree with Juan. Another option, if the bird was tame and/or still, was to move a bit to your left to place your nicely lit subject in front of the darker shaded BG. I'm a little torn crop-wise. I like Doug's idea...but I also like the bit of greenery in LRC. In the end I think I would sacrifice that greenery though.