PDA

View Full Version : Fieldfare

Rich Steel
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi

I always enjoy photographing fieldfare, even though these winter visitors are difficult to approach and often take flight before you are anywhere near them. However, it is always rewarding when you do get close in to them, watching the birds pause low to the ground to listen for worms underground.

I decided to get up early on Boxing Day to shake of the excess of Christmas and go and try and find some at a local site I found last year, after two unsuccessful winters of trying to get a photo of one. Fortunately the birds were there so I managed to get a few photos but only by using the car as a mobile hide. Unfortunately my car is awaiting a new clutch at the moment and I am sure my efforts were not helped by my better half's car being bright orange!!! The site has areas of grassed embankments close to the roads which usefully allows the impression of being at ground level while still in the car :)

This bird was having a tug of war with a worm but the conclusion to the struggle as you might expect finally went the bird's way.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/fieldfare100-1.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO400 F4 (as the sun was only just emerging and I needed to lose a chain link fence behind) at 1/250s

Cheers

Rich

Dave Mills
12-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Rich, you caught a great moment...love the image

Rene' Villela
12-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Great shot Rich! The BG is really nice too! I don't think there is anything to wish for. Cheers!

Ian McHenry
12-28-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi Rich
Beautiful image of one of my favourite winter migrants to UK.
Have added a smidgin of contrast and sharpness as it seemed a bit high in noise reduction.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Rich Steel
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the replies and comments. I haven't finished with the fieldfare yet and hope to photograph some more through January.

Cheers

Rich