PDA

View Full Version : The look

Art Kornienko
12-27-2008, 02:45 PM
30D, 300 F4LIS, F7.1, 1/1000, 400 ISO
Cropped about 15%
Bait was not used for this shot, however there was baiting in the area by other photographers. This was a crawl on your gut as close as you can get shot.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I like the observing pose, details and soft light. It is just a bit tight in the frame for my taste. You must have been pretty close at 300mm. Where did you find this owl?

Jeff Nadler
12-27-2008, 03:34 PM
A beautiful not -to-tight shot for me! Your public profile gives no hint as to where you live so we can only guess where the image was taken, where many photographers are gathering - east of Ottawa or Long Island.

Art Kornienko
12-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Axel, right near where I live, it St. Rose, Ontario. There are 5 visiting snowies this year. They park themselves near the numerous open and flat farmers' fields for the duration of the winter, hunting voles. This year though, all the farmers have put up no trespassing signs and photography will be very limited. Last year, the groups of photographers got rather large at times (up to 15 at times) and came almost every day.

Art Kornienko
12-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Jeff, yes east of Ottawa, see my comments to Axel. Things for this year have fallen apart due to the no trespassing signs, all the Snowies are there though.

Craig Miller
12-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Amazing image Art, I quite like the tight composition and those eyes.. Stunning!

Rene' Villela
12-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Look at those eyes! Really nice! I like it as presented! Job well done Art!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Axel, right near where I live, it St. Rose, Ontario. There are 5 visiting snowies this year. They park themselves near the numerous open and flat farmers' fields for the duration of the winter, hunting voles. This year though, all the farmers have put up no trespassing signs and photography will be very limited. Last year, the groups of photographers got rather large at times (up to 15 at times) and came almost every day.

Thanks, Art! Did the farmers put up those signs because of photographers?

As for the composition, I would like it better if there were only the frame on the outside and not the other two and would use the entire space between frame 1 and 3 as BG.

Art Kornienko
12-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Axel, yes definitely the farmers put up the signs because of the photographers, and I'm not sure what the issues are. I have heard that there was some trash (coffee cups) left in the fields last year but I don't think that was the only issue. Personally, I never saw any trash left at any of the areas, but there were visitors from far away, and many of them too. It looks like all the farmers got together, because vitually all of the land in the area now has no trespassing signs quite evident. Some of the farmers were approached by the photographers this year, but I am unsure what the nature of those discussions were. Very disappointing that photographing the owls this year has been hindered. Thanks for your framing input.

DanWalters
12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Great shot! Those eyes really stand out.