PDA

View Full Version : Little Bee-eater

Victor Soares
12-27-2008, 04:07 AM
This photo was taken last week at the Kruger National Park in South Africa.

The little bee-eater is one of the smallest bee-eater in the world (at just 18cm) and hunts in pairs or small groups. We witnessed a small group of 3 birds hunting little flying insects.

Pictured here is the bird disposing of its pellet of small bones and other material that the bird cannot digest. It is interesting to note that it is not only birds of prey that produce pellets, but also amongst others are: herons, gulls, crows, waders, shrikes, storks, skuas, kingfishers and bee-eaters (source: BIRDS the inside story)

EXIF:
Camera: Canon 40D
Lens: Canon 400L USM f5.6
ISO: 320
Shooting mode: Av
Exposure: 1/2500
Aperture: 5.6
Metering: Spot

Rene' Villela
12-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Lovely capture in my opinion Victor! The BG is really good and I like the fact I can see what ever he is eating or disposing of. Very good timing! Maybe just tight it up a bit to make the bird bigger in the frame. Cheers!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Great moment captured, I also like the light and details. In the upper right are some artifacts, maybe from cloning and I would tone down the highlights on the perch.

Chris van Rooyen
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Great sharpness and background, and interesting moment. I agree with Axel's comments but still a great capture!

Victor Soares
12-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone. Will apply the changes and see what it looks like. Did not clone anything in that corner so might be some other reason. I suppose I could tone down the branch by burning it a little ? Thanks again !

John Chardine
12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
This photo was taken last week at the Kruger National Park in South Africa.

The little bee-eater is one of the smallest bee-eater in the world (at just 18cm) and hunts in pairs or small groups. We witnessed a small group of 3 birds hunting little flying insects.

Pictured here is the bird disposing of its pellet of small bones and other material that the bird cannot digest. It is interesting to note that it is not only birds of prey that produce pellets, but also amongst others are: herons, gulls, crows, waders, shrikes, storks, skuas, kingfishers and bee-eaters (source: BIRDS the inside story)

EXIF:
Camera: Canon 40D
Lens: Canon 400L USM f5.6
ISO: 320
Shooting mode: Av
Exposure: 1/2500
Aperture: 5.6
Metering: Spot

Yep they all do it. Insect exoskeletons are made of chitin, which is not very digestible. Therefore if the bee-eater is eating bees, chitin is what the pellet is made of.