PDA

View Full Version : Plumes

Julie Kenward
12-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I could have swore I hit 'save' on this one but I guess I didn't! Here it is again, then...

This is the end of the plume grass that was growing right outside my brother's townhouse while we were visiting yesterday. My sister had to jump in and be my "plamp" because the wind was knocking these plumes of grass all over the place.

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f4.5 @ 1.250th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Handheld, overcast skies
Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop, levels and curves adjustments and slight warming of the overall image

denise ippolito
12-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Jules, I like it! See there you go again making the very plain very interesting! Love the pattern and colors- the areas of softness really add to this image!

Ed Vatza
12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
OK, Ed sounding crazy alert!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I've looked at this image several times, Jules, and the only thing I can say is I think it should be softer. Here's why. When I look at the thumbnail, it looks like a very cool abstract. I really like it. But when I look at the full size image, I see the grass plumes. And I like it less. I prefer the abstract. Make any sense?

OK, Crazy Eddie alert over! :o

Julie Kenward
12-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Ed, here's another version I worked on where I made the image softer instead of more contrasty. I thought the original image was more of a macro image and this one more of an abstract/Out of the Box kind of thing...that's why I posted the stronger image here.

Ed Vatza
12-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Personally, I like the re-post a lot better but I understand your logic. Gotta save something for Out-of-the-Box. The abstract feel here is great and you haven't lost the warmth. Nice.

I've relooked at this image. Remember this is Crazy Ed. But maybe just a touch more contrast.

Julie Kenward
12-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Dear Crazy Ed:

I agree with you (makes me crazy, too?) in that I like the softness of the second photo better but think it does need a touch of the contrast from the first image. I shall combine the best of both worlds and see what I get...

Mike Moats
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey Jules, I think I like the second post better, agree on the softer.

Gus Cobos
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Julie,
I like the original as presented, the second one is too white, washed out in my opinion...or maybe you can cook up an in between look and feel in the middle...:):cool:

Aristotle Georgiou
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Interesting shot. I like the flowing lines, texture and colour to the plumes.
I would also like to see an in between of the two shots.

Very creative Jules!