PDA

View Full Version : Whistling Kite

Nicole Brooker
01-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I photographed this Whistling Kite at the Western Treatment plant on the outskirts of Melbourne a little while back now. They seem to have favourite areas where they like to hang out at the plant. The treatment plant is one of my favourite locations in Melbourne for bird photography although I haven't been out there too much in recent times.

D70, 80-400VR, F6.3, 1/1000

http://www.oznaturephotos.com/picture_library/WhistlingKite05.jpg

Ivan Rothman
01-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Nicole,

Very nice image, but I believe it's a little overexposed and could benefit from cropping some off the bottom.
I've taken the liberty of cropping and darkening your image to see how it looks.

Arthur Morris
01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Nicole and Ivan, As presented, I actually like the original a bit better than the re-post (though I agree that the original could have been a tad darker,) With the substantial crop, the re=post needs to be sharpened a bit more. IAC (and I know that this will sound strange to lots of folks), I actually like this one with more room (as in the original post). And I love the sharpness in the face of the original, and the compostion as well.

later and love to you both, artie

ps: Ivan is an amazingly talented photographer and a dear firiend, but the beauty of a good critiquing site is that at times folks may disagree and still be friends <smile>

Jody Melanson
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Selectively sharpened the bird, toned down the brightness..nice pose.
http://jmelanson.smugmug.com/photos/245080514-O.jpg

Ivan Rothman
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Artie,
The photo as posted by you looks great. One of the main reasons I like being here is to learn, and as always I learn from you.

Ivan

Jody Melanson
01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Artie,
The photo as posted by you looks great. One of the main reasons I like being here is to learn, and as always I learn from you.

Ivan

Actually it was me that posted the photo, Ivan. Glad to help out! :)

Arthur Morris
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Smoking Jody!

Thanks. And later and love,

artie

Nicole Brooker
01-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys. :) After I posted it I wondered if it was a little on the bright side but thought I'd see what others thought. The repost looks much better.