PDA

View Full Version : North Window/Turret Arch Pano

Dave Mills
12-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Nikon D300,16-85mm lense,tripod mtd with Pano leveling head
F22, manual exposure,12 vertical images stitched, iso 200, polarizer

I shot these images vertical since I wanted to get more of the foreground. This image is almost 180 degrees

Michael Pancier
12-26-2008, 12:05 PM
great view. I'm going to try the same thing when I'm there in Feb. The rocks look like they could use some sharpening...(probably due to downsize for web)

Dave Mills
12-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Michael...In my computer the image is very sharp and on some images I'm getting a slight softening in the downsizing. It varies though. In some cases when I sharpen after downsizing it brings up a bit of noise that I don't want to upload.
I believe this was shot later in the day...not early.

David Kennedy
12-27-2008, 02:07 AM
Dave,
Technically, this is very well executed. My concern is one of composition: I wish for more sky and less foreground. The clouds look great the way they tightly hover over the rock forms, but the space above them is nearly as tight as the space they afford the rocks, so it feels too constricted. I hope that makes sense?
It's not so much that the foreground is uninteresting, but that the sky looks like it would have added more value to the image than did the foreground.

Dave Mills
12-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi David...Your point is well taken. When I shot this image there wasn't much above the clouds that is presently shown in the image so I felt I wasn't giving the viewer much in the way of interest. The reason for the foreground(rightfully not having a huge amount of interest) was giving it a sense of place. I also couldn't find anything to stand out in the foreground which I'm usually able to do. I don't disagree with your comments, only explaining why.

Robert Amoruso
12-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Dave and David,

I am OK with the FG here as I am looking at this from the perspective of a large print where that FG without anything significant leads me to that rocks and arches. As a small JPG I totally agree the rocks are diminished due to the FG but I think this would work as a print.

Ending points left and right work well and the arches are nicely placed at the middle third verticals (RoTs).

Roman Kurywczak
01-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Hey Dave,
I too was thinking what David was originally.......but I feel that all the pano's lose some of thier strength because of the size limitations of the web. I agree with Robert that they would work much better as a larger size print.......so the FG doesn't bother me either. I do like the 180 degree view of the scene. Nicely thought out!