PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hyrax

Rosl Roessner
12-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I made this image of the two youngsters in South Africa, when I was photographing penguins...

Mark III Canon 500 + 1.7 TC
1/500 sec / f 8 / ISO 400

Per-Gunnar Ostby
12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
The hyraxes do have a lot of character (not surprising for the closes genetic relative to the elephant I suppose), and I like this shot.

I do however find the background a little distracting. A different angle with more distance between subject and background would have been great. But I do know that is not always possible :)

Julie Kenward
12-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I think the BG looks "distracting" because it is such good camo for the hyraxes. It really makes you look for them to keep your focus! I agree that it would have been a stronger composition with more distance and more of the BG OOF but this is also nice in that it shows their environment.

Fabs Forns
12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't mind the BG at all, this is where they live. I'd like a bit of a head angle for the one on front though, but you get only what they want to give you :)

D. Robert Franz
12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I like the image quite a bit. Well composed good techs.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Rosl,
I like composition. The front one could have had better eye contact but I don't mind it so much. I would bring down the colour temperature a bit. I like the way they are positioned in the rock crevices.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi