PDA

View Full Version : Monterey/Carmel/Moss Landing ???

Rich Swanner
12-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I shoot at the breakwater(Monterey) Carmel River Beach Lagoon and Moss Landing (slough and breakwater, and at the salt ponds). Is there some other cool place to go in the area.Thanks ....Rich

Aidan Briggs
12-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Sorry Rich. Idon't know a whole lot about the area myself. I am considering a trip up there soon though. How are the conditions for bird photography at Moss landing and Carmel River beach lagoon?

Rich Swanner
12-27-2008, 11:10 AM
That is where I go for all my shooting at the coast, except at Bodega Bay. Carmel River Beach Lagoon is a sanctuary . Plenty of ops there and Moss Landing at the entrance to the harbor on the boat side is best. The birds (pelicans etc) seat on the rocks. There is a boat storage and salt ponds just past the bridge going North(toward Santa Cruz on US 1 past the power plant.On the left the road to the beach. Pull up Google maps and go to street view after you take the aerial view, it will show all of the places as if you were there. Monterey has the Coast Gaurd breakwater which has cormorants in season, lots of stuff. I like the street view with Google because it gives a better idea of the area, almost like a tour.....Rich This shot is from Moss Landing at the harbor entrance..... http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/blackies_owner/2134195-2-brown-pelicans.jpg

Aidan Briggs
12-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info, Rich.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Rich, I never had much luck at Moss landing myself. Hence, I'd appreciate it if you could clarify your statements.

Moss Landing at the entrance to the harbor on the boat side is best.
I presume this means "at the entrance to the fishing boat harbor - not from the beach side accessible via Jetty road but - from the side where the boats are docked." Correct? I've parked a couple of times at teh end of Sandholt Rd and then walked to the breakwater. Is that the position you're referring to? In the few times, I've been there I've seen pelicans, cormarants and gulls going in and out.

There is a boat storage and salt ponds just past the bridge going North(toward Santa Cruz on US 1 past the power plant.
Is that the site on the east side of 101 with the gate and almost directly opposite to the entrance of the boat launch parking lot? There is a sign on 101 pointing towards a wildlife viewing area but I always thought it kinda looks semi-private and never entered. Do you drive in or park outside and walk in?

Thanks in advance. JR

Kerry Perkins
01-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Rich, have you checked out the Central Coast Birding Trail web site? It has some great resources for the Monterey area. The web site is here - http://ca-ccbt.info/Monterey.htm . I have attached a screen shot from the map on their web site. If you already know about this, please excuse the bandwidth. ;)