PDA

View Full Version : Met a friendly fisherman...

Arthur Morris
12-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Met a real nice guy on Sanibel catching pinfish for the local bait store. Everyone once in a while he would toss one to this Great Egret.

Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIII handheld. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/1600 sec. at f/5.6. 45-Point AAFPS (ideal for this type of image)

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
12-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Artie,
I'm the one usually feeding them this fish because it is pretty showy! Nice soft light on the egret and I am a sucker for the story with the bloody fish. I'm sure the motor drive was humming so it would be interesting to see if you got any different angles on the fish. For me (you do call me Mr. Too Tight)....I would take about 1/3 off the top and proportionally off the left....just because itaccentuates the S-curve of the egret more.
PS Let me know about the e-mail I sent you

Axel Hildebrandt
12-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Great details and BG. The bloody lower mandible and fish add to it. I might make it a tad darker.

Doug Brown
12-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Great eye contact, and the bloody bill is something else. It seems a little bright on my monitor; another vote for darkening things a bit.

Robert O'Toole
12-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Perfect soft light, love the look and straight on angle on the fish. The touches of blood add to the drama of the struggle.

Agree with the recommendations to darken.

Robert

Sid Garige
12-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Little bit bright on my monitor too. I just calibrated it and wondering if some thing is wrong with my settings too.

Arthur Morris
12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. Either its time to calibrate my monitor or we need our calibration strips back... I was worried that the whites looked too grey. Mr. Curry-check. I have lots of other fish positions but this is my favorite by far. The head of the fish looks like some sort of alien head. Will answer your e-mail now.

Joe Senzatimore
12-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Bright on my monitor as well. Light is beautiful as is the s curve in the neck, I too would like a little less canvas on the left side. To much negative space for my taste, but what do I know???? The fish puts it over the top for me. Was this at Blind Pass? One of my favorite spots.

Art Kornienko
12-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Love the shot too but also very bright on my monitor as well, noticed it too with one of your recent owl shots, the one where you got the cell call about. Don't know though, who's monitor is out of whack. Let us know if its yours or ours. Love the soft lighting and bg colour.

david cramer
12-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Quick check of the histogram shows it's bunched to the right, but not overexposed. I'd suggest either darkening or adding contrast. I love the fish position.