PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap Sunset

David Kennedy
12-24-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of mood I prefer for this image, although I am leaning towards the second, warmer tone, which I'll post immediately after this first image, which is decidedly cooler.

The panorama was created from five vertical frames:
Canon 5D and 70-200mm f/4 lens @ 200mm
1/50 sec. @ f/8, ISO 200

David Kennedy
12-24-2008, 02:23 AM
This is the second rendition in consideration, which is definitely warmer in tonality.

Robert Amoruso
12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
David,

I go for cold but that is my personal preference. When I printed B&W, I always preferred the cold tones and now regularly leave my gators in shade blue as I like the tone of them that way. I remember this scene well having gone there last year. This is just how I would do it with the reversing diagonal slopes guiding the eye and the depth of the image owing to the diminishing detail in those slopes due to haze.

David Kennedy
12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
I've come up with a third option that is more of a bridge between the other two. The magic compromise?

Roman Kurywczak
12-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey David,
I too lean towards the cool blues.........but that is why I used to use Ektachrome slide film........definitely a personal preference.....I do like the compromise a lot too! Nice use of the atmospheric layers.

David Kennedy
12-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Robert and Roman,
I'm coming around to the cooler one, too--although, the third posting is probably what I'll roll with. Leaving it alone for a few days and then revisiting it tonight, I don't care for the warm version as much as I did before. Funny how a little distance helps in making up one's mind!

Robert Amoruso
12-28-2008, 04:19 PM
David, I like the third version. Good combo between the two. I prefer to see the further back mountains in blue as that is how I perceive atmospheric affects in situations like this. The FG has a subtle hint of warm and that works well there. Nice work.