PDA

View Full Version : Studio Titmouse?

Arthur Morris
12-23-2008, 07:00 PM
I set up a curved perch right on the ground that was covered with fresh snow at Morton NWR near Sag Harbor, Long Island, NY. With the pure white BKGR the image does look like a studio image. Quite a few photographers over the past year have had big spreads of images of birds and animals including many endangered species photographed against seamless white paper BKGRs.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with a 25mm tube and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 1000. Evaluative metering +2 stops: 1/125 sec. at f/5.6 (set manually).

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Dave Courtenay
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
The snow gives nice lighting and adds to the image, I would have liked more DOF to get the feet sharp

Dave

Glenda Simmons
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Such cute little birds to photograph. You got a nice pose from him with good detail on his face. I can't say that I like the white background. I cannot tell that it is snow. I guess that's just a personal preference, but I know I would like the image better with a little color in the background or some other habitat included so I knew that it was snow.

I'm loving your Art of Bird Photography II. It is helping me alot.

Arthur Morris
12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
The snow gives nice lighting and adds to the image, I would have liked more DOF to get the feet sharp. Dave

How much of a higher ISO should I have set, and how much slower a shutter speed (considering that it was very windy)?

Dave Courtenay
12-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I looked at the specs and appreciate the conditions by the shutter speed, All i was saying was that in an ideal world having the feet in focus would be preferable-maybe the low position/angle of the bird hasnt helped

Regards

Dave

Malcolm Benn
12-23-2008, 08:53 PM
A beautiful bird ... the colours are exquisite. I like the simplicity of the perch and the background and in a perfect world the legs would be a bit more in focus but life isn't perfect and I have no right to be critical not having taken the shot.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
I like the winter mood and pose. I might clone out the single OOF snow flake. The eye looks very interesting, the iris is almost blue and I'm wondering about the half circle in the upper part of the eye.