PDA

View Full Version : Resizing and Sharpening for BPN Action

Jonathan Michael Ashton
12-23-2008, 03:55 AM
I recently read the thread relating to writing an action for sharpening and resizing for BPN. The action was entitled BPN j-pegs F2. I wrote the action but I guess I must have made a small error somewhere because my images always ended up at 800 x 800 pixel as opposed to 800 being a maximum size, I wonder for example how I could automate so that one dimension may be 1024 and the other 800 - I guess this would have to be two separate actions?
Another little issue I don't understand and that is the resolution, the action states 96 pixels per inch, I wonder why 96 as opposed to 72 pixels per inch?

I also don't really understand why sometimes different people use Smart Sharpen as oppose to Unsharp Mask, I have used both and can get reasonable reults with either, i was wondering are the any particular circumstances when one mode is likely to be preferable to the other?

John Chardine
12-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Jonathan- If you Constrain Proportions when you do the resize you only need to set one of the dimensions- width or height- and Ps handles the other one automatically.

The pixels per inch is irrelevant in BPN because you view the image on screen at 100%- pixel for pixel. This metric is important when printing.

Charles Glatzer
12-23-2008, 10:15 AM
With SS you can independently modify the shadow and highlight sharpening parameters. With USM sharpening is generally similar across the tonal range, unless you duplicate the layers and change the blending modes ;)

Best,

Chas

Jim Poor
12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
You can use the "Fit" option under FILE>AUTOMATE to resize instead of using the resize dialogue. Put 800 in each box and it will resize only the longest dimension to 800, the other side/end will be resized proportionately.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks very much for the replies I reckon I have the gist of it now

Jon