PDA

View Full Version : Purple Finch

Edward Fisher
12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
I went for a walk around our local marsh early the other morning at minus 12 C, and found this Purple Finch perched in a Hawthorne tree.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/NatureNut/_MG_2992-E-PurpleFinch.jpg

Canon 40D, 500mm L lens, ISO 800, f13, 1/500sec, AV mode. Cameron tripod, Full Wimberley.

Doug Brown
12-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I like the frosty perch and the excellent sharpness. Like the soft BG too. I'd like to see more of a head turn, both for the eye contact and for the additional light on the head.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Great light, details and perch. I agree on the head turn and might tone down the whites on the perch a tad. Keep them coming!

Maxis Gamez
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi Edward,

Bird seems to be looking away from you. However, you did well with the sharpness and DOF.

Edward Fisher
12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Thankyou all for the nice comments !

Arthur Morris
12-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Edward, Welcome, and do see the Head Angle Police thread in Educational Resources. Had you waited for and gotten a good head angle here, the result would have been a superb image rather than a subpar one. Head angle makes all the difference in the world. IAC, eliminating the forked branch sticking into the bird's chest is an option if that fits with your personal ethics.

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Edward,
I am not a card carrying member of the HAP........but I will reluctantly agree.........as Artie pointed out.......it is the little things.......that can make huge differences in an image. Everything else is right on.

Edward Fisher
12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your input, Artie. I appreciate it. I`ve read the section on HAP and agree with everything, so now I have to put it into practise. Sometimes it`s easier said than done though.

Thanks also to you, Roman for commenting.

Arthur Morris
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your input, Artie. I appreciate it. I`ve read the section on HAP and agree with everything, so now I have to put it into practise. Sometimes it`s easier said than done though.

Hi Edward, Thanks for being open. The key thing is to be aware of head angle. When I am photographing with a group, I can tell the more experienced folks by when the various shutters go off. If the bird's head is turned away and they are firing like mad, I know that they need help. On the other hand, the bird finally gives up a good head angle and it's bam, bam, bam from the folks who know what they are doing.

I have had a gorgeous bird in killer light in a perfect setting/BKGR look away for 2 or 3 minutes only to fly without giving me one second of good head angle... Now that is frustrating. Would love to see a great male Purple Finch from you.