PDA

View Full Version : A Snow Falls in Lilliput

Ed Vatza
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Ever since attending a ranger-led program on mosses, lichens and fungi (entitled "The Forests of Lilliput") in Acadia NP, I can't help but think of images like this as Lilliputian in nature. This one is actually the inside of a rotted out tree trunk. Previous Lilliputian landscapes did not play well. How about this one?

Canon 30D; Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L; handheld

1/200 sec @ f/8; ISO 400; +1/3 EV; AWB; Natural light; FL 65mm

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/100-Edit-2.jpg

Ed Vatza
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
... Previous Lilliputian landscapes did not play well. How about this one?

Guess this one doesn't either! Let's try something different.

Mike Moats
12-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey Ed, a lot of chaos going on and nothing to fix my eye on. Tough subject to shoot with the white on a dark. Snow has lost its detail.

Ed Vatza
12-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Hey Ed, a lot of chaos going on and nothing to fix my eye on. Tough subject to shoot with the white on a dark. Snow has lost its detail.

Thanks for the critique, Mike. Much appreciated.

I keep looking for a way to capture these "Lilliputian landscapes" as I call them. I thought that the snow would serve as the anchor point for the eye and felt that there was enough detail in the snow to hold its own. Guess I was wrong! :)

I also am thinking that maybe I need got closer than I could get with the 24-70 or maybe even with a macro lens at 1:1. Either I may try to crop in much more or I need to quick call Santa and ask for a MP-E 65. :D

Julie Kenward
12-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I agree with Mike on this one. I think you need something that gives these scale - like an acorn or leaf...something to show just how miniscule they are and to give the eye an anchor. Maybe???

Ed Vatza
12-24-2008, 03:34 PM
OK, OK I get the message. :) I just keep thinking that there is something magical in there but I m not getting it out. You remember the last time I tried this, Jules? It was back in our challenge. Didn't work back then either and you whooped me. I'll put the concept on the back burner again. But one of these days I will figure it out.

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey Ed,
Concept is sound........as I often look at these small scenes and feel the same way......just think Guliver.......something to give scale.......will further emphasize the liliputin scene. Just like Guliver.......something that will look huge in scale comparison. I think you are on the right track.

Amy DeStefanis
12-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi Ed.

Well, of the Lilliput series, I think this IS my favorite. I wonder if lighting could help you get some depth and interest? Maybe something that causes some shadow? If this were a cliff face, for instance, how would it look at sunset, instead of with flat light?

Would it be cheating to start a trickle of water from a hose down it to make it look like a stream going down????

I think you should keep at it - because sooner or later, you're going to get something really cool!

Amy D.