PDA

View Full Version : African Fish Eagle landing

Marc Mol
12-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia.
D2xs 300f/2.8VR ISO200 f/2.8 1/2500s@300mm. 40% crop.
Agreed it's not the sharpest of images, but I quite like the pose.

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/440369345_QnT4e-XL.jpg

C & c most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Tony Whitehead
12-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Pose is nice, Marc. Those are impressive talons reaching for the perch. The thing that's really hurting the image is the light angle- so much is in shadow that there is little detail visible on the body and under the wing. Any more exposure to capture shadow detail would have blown the whites and you were probably out of flash range with that amount of light around so you had no real options. Having the wind and light coming from behind you is the ideal scenario but not always easy to achieve in the wild.

Marc Mol
12-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Having the wind and light coming from behind you is the ideal scenario but not always easy to achieve in the wild.

Very true Tony.
Agreed, trying to capture any more shadow detail, would definitely have blown the whites
Appreciate the comments.

Rene' Villela
12-22-2008, 03:53 AM
That is a real nice shot Marc! The pose is realy nice and the way you kept the head well exposed! Too bad about the shadows but as you guys already said that was such a difficult shot! I am wondering if some detail can be recover on PS? I hope some one comes out with a repost! :) Either way, good work Marc!

Joe Senzatimore
12-22-2008, 06:45 AM
I think with some PS work this could be made into a great silhouette perhaps with a nice orange sky.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-22-2008, 08:37 AM
I like the pose and composition but it looks underexposed, lower light might have helped.

Marc Mol
12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I like the pose and composition but it looks underexposed, lower light might have helped.

Hi Axel
Exposure was spot on with this image. Just poor light direction, unfortunately.

Cheers
Marc