PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bubbles

Mike Fuhr
12-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Looking for something to shoot in the ice-cold weather. These bubbles caught my eye in a nearby wetland.

Nikon D50
55mm
1/15
F/36 (-.66)
ISO 200

Julie Kenward
12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
This is very nice, Mike. I like the capture of the bubbles and you did a very nice job exposing for them. I do think if you wanted to go the extra mile you could select some of the smaller/darker bubbles and pull them up using levels or shadow/highlight.

Compositionally I wish the biggest bubbles were more to the bottom of the image but you can't move bubbles now can you? I think you did well by getting all bubbled inside the frame and not leaving any half in/half out.

I do find some of the tiniest specs a bit distracting and if you went to print this I think you'd see it there even more. You might use the healing brush or clone tool to dab those littlest specs out and leave just the ones that actually appear to be bubbles.

I love that you reduced your exposure to get the glare off the surface of the water. Nice work!

Mike Fuhr
12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Jules:
Thanks for all the comments. After I posted last night, I actually started to clone out some of the smaller specs for the very reason you suggested -- they are a bit distracting!

Mike Moats
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey Mike, very cool image, good sharp details and agree on removing all the little white specs. Ice and leaves make for interesting subjects.

Mike Fuhr
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I agree! Lots of neat stuff out there once you stop and "smell the roses" so to speak. I'm looking forward to getting out more this week.

Mike Fuhr
12-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Here it is with many of the specs removed...

Anita Bower
12-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I like this cleaned up version. Makes a better image. Nice rich colors and interesting shapes. Good job! It takes patience to find patterns in the (cold) ice.

Anita Bower