PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Waterfall

Dave Mills
12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
D300 16-85mm f/22 1/4 sec 0 comp
tripod mounted

I try and shoot waterfalls at interesting angles(if possible) and get a grain in the water while still showing motion. I find that 1/4 of a second most of the time will give me that effect. In previewing the image the trees in the backround are a bit soft but sharp before the conversion.

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey Dave,
You know I'm done for the day down here in warm Fla.....so it's critique time. I'll give you a pass on the sharpness.....because i know your images are tack sharp........but we do have to figure out why they are being downsized to around 90 kb. We'll work on that.
Nice flow to the stream and the colors and rocks act as a nice framing element. The larger.....fanned out cascade.....acts as a very nice base. This also has a nice contrast between the more powerful flow.....and the delicate fan one..........now if only I can convice you to go out there and clean up those leaves in the left corner and ledge........in the field....nicely composed.

D. Robert Franz
12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Love the water and the comp is fine, but I might have liked to see a bit more of the landscape..

Fabs Forns
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I love your idea, but the whole thing looks a bit soft on my monitor. You should get better than 90 kb to get more detail in the compressed file.

Robert Amoruso
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Dale has a good point as opening up on the surrounding landscape could have been interesting here.

On the softness thing, try Artie's method in this link http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5598 under Free Excerpt: Creating an Action for your BPN J-PEGS.

Rework this image from the TIFF and see if you get a better result. Repost the new version if you wish but do it in a reply.

Dave Mills
12-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks...I'll take a look at it...