PDA

View Full Version : Cold Nor'Easter

Grady Weed
12-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time: 12/21/2008 12:07:50, Shutter Speed 1/100Sec. Av F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1 1/3, ISO 400, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length: 28.0 mm. Hand held while freezing to death! Full frame and sized for a 12x18 print. And it is crisp and sharp on this end too! Very minor work flow. Some RAW contrast, curves and slight levels.

We went to Portland Headlight and just back. The Nor'easter was early. The storm arrived at 9:30 am and dumped 12 inches of snow by the time I got there. We will get 1 foot more when it is all over. The winds were howling at 40-50 miles per hour. Between the 13 degrees temps and the wind, it was mighty cold. My face, hair and ears had ice forming on them within minutes. About 10 minutes at a time was all I could stand for.

I moved all around the lighthouse to image it from as many views as I could. To say the least, I felt my best winter images were from today's shoot. Usually the lighthouse is crawling in photographers in this kind of weather. I was the only one. My wife, bless her, held her own and more a huge help keeping the wind off of the lens.

This has got to be the coldest storm in recent memory. The waves will be biggest at 6 pm due to the high tide and the peak of the storm hitting then. Don't you Florida people feel good about now after viewing this?

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 05:01 PM
What I like best about this is the COMP and of course, WINTER! And I thought that I was cold at Jones beach on SAT morning... Is heavy snow the reason that the far center of the image is not as distinct as the stuff in front? I remember seeing the white fog halo when I looked down the beach yesterday morning.

Grady Weed
12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes. The snow in the center is a band moving right at me and about to clobber me in the face! It appears not too bad here, but trust me, the snow and wind was almost unbearable.

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Grady,
We all know the comp well by now........but the mood here is super..........screams cold. Did you try both increasing and decreasing the contrast?? My gut feeling is increasing the contrast will take some of the mood away........not a good thing IMO.......but taking even a bit more away........soften the contrast even a bit more......may accentuate it even more.........or may be too much of a good thing. Just figure I'd give you a few things to play with.
Love it as is.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Jeez,I was gonna bust you about taking some of the modd away but your caught your typo.... Can't you let a guy have some fun?

D. Robert Franz
12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
This image screams COLD, WINTER. Fine comp and a great subject in different weather than you usually see. Congrats on your effort.

Robert Amoruso
12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with the others and think Roman's comment on exploring the contrast options a good one. Well done Grady.

Michael Pancier
12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
what a difference from my October shoot there. Would make a nice holiday card...I like the change of pace. I take it the lobster shack is closed for the winter too?

BTW, how did the camera hold up in that cold?

Grady Weed
12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
The camera made out a lot better than the photographer did. No ice or fog on the lens or the insdie like a few years ago. I hide it in my jacket when I could. I must say the 5D has been a very good camera. I wouldnt trade it for anything, well maybe the 5D Mark ll. :)