PDA

View Full Version : Beach Grass Snow-Scape

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 04:17 PM
After the Snowy Owl flew a long way in the direction of the jetty at Jones Beach, West End, I headed back to the car but the beauty of the beach grasses in the unspoiled snow captivated me....

Canon 15mm fish eye lens handheld with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 stps: 1/250 ses. at f/10. One shot AF focused on the clump of grass in the l-r-c.

Tip: whether handholding a fish eye lens or when working on a tripod it is mandatory to use a bubble level. If your horizon is off even by one degree, you will lose a significant portion of the image. (When handholding, I frame the image, peek up at the level with my left--viewing eye--and adjust if need be).

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Grady Weed
12-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I was wondering if some bright eyed photographer was going to grab a shot of the snow and grasses. Like it.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi Grady, I am glad that you like it. Please let us know why and what you like about it so there can be some learning going on. Thank you sir.

Grady Weed
12-21-2008, 05:05 PM
You're completely correct Art. I should have left more detailed comments about the highlights I really like. I really liked the cold empty feel to the image. The contrast of the brown grass against the stark white says "cold"! The clump of grasses right in the front gives a focal point to immediately grab your eye. The clean composition is appealing. I also like the inclusion of the sky and the far left clouds have some details.

The fish eye lens technique is not one I would make. Simply because I do not have a fish eye lens. I was wanting to make an image similar to this one with my 28-135 on the Canon 5D the other day. You beat me to the punch. We have some fields close by where I can practice. This gives me some mental floss to help me create my own image.

I do have to say, this site has by far the most talented group of photographers of any site I know. And all are willing to share the knowledge too. Thanks for the post Art, and the reminder to be specific.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Grady. That is an excellent critique plus more. It was Robert O'Toole who inspired me with his fish eye work. Inspired me to buy one and finally to carry and use it. Thanks to both of you. (It does take some time to begin seeing images with that little thing....)

denise ippolito
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Artie, I like the effect the fish eye has on this-It's a beautiful composition-I like the placement of the large clump of grass

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey Artie,
You go up to get cold.........I come down to be warm.......go figure!
The larger clump of grass on the right does act like a very nice anchor......as does the larger wedge shaped grasses on the right horizon.......and this is for Grady........not sure the flat horizon would work as well........because of the fisheye effect........the curve now has the tendency to pull out eye back down into the frame and the main focal point grass.
BTW........did you try a multiplied layer on the sky???.....I see quite a bit of detail on the left side.........not sure more in this case would be better.......but wondering if you tried it and didn't like it.
Now I have to trudge through the snow and find those snowies when i get home.

D. Robert Franz
12-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Artie,

Like the emptyness of the landscape the image portrays. It also say winter nicely. The largest clump in the LR of the frame seems to anchor the image but could be a bit more dominant. Maybe a bit closer to it? I too have a hard time with fisheye images so as with you I'm here to learn from others comments.

Fabs Forns
12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
I like your macro rendition better, maybe getting even closer would have been the ticket.

Robert Amoruso
12-22-2008, 08:48 PM
I woudl add Artie that putting the fisheye right at the LR grass anchor would have "been the ticket" as Fabiola mentioned.