PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Berries

Ed Vatza
12-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Another image from yesterday morning's foray along the local creek following a day of snow. sleet and freezing rain.

Canon 30D; Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L: Handheld

1/400 sec @ f/4.0; ISO 400; 0 EV; AWB; FL 70mm; Natural light

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Love the COMP, the BKGR, the sharpness of the lowest icicle, the colors, and the soft light. The one thing that bugs me is the single leaf above the lowest group of leaves, the o-o-f one that comes towards us. As a general principle if an element of the scene that protrudes in front of the main subject is well o-o-f (which it almost always is), it can be an image killer. This usually refers to sticks and branches in bird photography....

If you went to the tripod with enough d-o-f to sharpen that leaf it is likely that you would have brought up many distracting BKGR elements....

Any other suggestions?

Julie Kenward
12-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I felt the same thing as Artie - darn that one leaf! The rest is so superbly done though...

You are really getting some outstanding macros lately Ed. I see you used the 24-70 for this one...I've been thinking about buying that lens. Looks like I'd be pretty happy with it if you can get this kind of result!

Aristotle Georgiou
12-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Great shot Ed, I really like the colour of the BG, composition is excellent, nice light and the ice really tops it off.

Well done,

Ed Vatza
12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I see you used the 24-70 for this one...I've been thinking about buying that lens. Looks like I'd be pretty happy with it if you can get this kind of result!

It really is a very, very nice lens. I just don't use it as much as I probably should. (I usually end up going with a longer lens for birds or wildlife or a macro for close-ups.) But the 24-70 has a reasonably short minimum focusing distance for close-up work and can produce some really nice backgrounds/bokehs. I should just use it more than I do.

As far as the results, well I have learned a lot here on this forum. The feedback from all of you has been very helpful. I don't do as much outdoor photography (other than birds) in the winter because the big picture landscape always looks so gray, so blah to me. But when I can make myself focus in on smaller elements of the big gray world like this small branch that has some leaves and berries that introduce color and so on or the iced teasel, it all comes together. I have a couple of other images from yesterday that I also like. :D

Mike Moats
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Ed, I like the comp and agree with the others on the oof leaf, you may have been able to pop this leaf off to fix the problem when you shot it.

Ed Vatza
12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Ed, I like the comp and agree with the others on the oof leaf, you may have been able to pop this leaf off to fix the problem when you shot it.

The problem is that the ice was so delicate that when I did try to remove a twig or leaf (for other comps), it would cause the ice to crack. So I didn't chance it here. But you're right. That may have been the only solution.