PDA

View Full Version : Sharp-shinned Hawk

Donna Lorello
01-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi all! This is a totally new adventure for me having never posted for an actual critique before. I was happy to have the privilege of an extended visit by this Sharpie who stayed at least a half hour or better in my yard - every place it moved to, it was never too far from me and didn't seem to mind my presence. Equipment used: Canon 300D Digital Rebel and Swarovski A80 scope (camera body to scope via tube attachment), 1/200 sec Tv, 1600 ISO. Image was cropped, sharpened, levels slightly adjusted, and background branches cloned out to focus attention on the bird. All editing done in PS Elements that came with my camera.

My own critique - it's still a bit darker than I want but any further boosting seems to distort and create loss of details. I haven't tried any editing in the old version of PS I have (v 5.0) which does have a curves adjustment and might benefit. I also see some grain due to the high ISO setting, which I haven't tried running through a noise filter just yet.

I am looking for any help to improve this image for printing - for composition, exposure, post-processing, and how someone on a 'shoe string' budget can better utilize the tools I currently have. I'd be happy to post the original image if someone wants to compare the before and after.

Jim Poor
01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Digiscopes are fun! Nice pose on this guy.

A lot of folks will tell you that the sharp upward angle is a detractor, but that's pretty much how we see birds most of the time and it doesn't really bother me.

You might try a tad more sharpening around the face. There are some blobs that look like remnants of the branches on the upper part of the breast and about 1/3 down the back. A tighter zoom and a bit more work on those areas is easy enough. If you work on a duplicate layer, you don't have to worry too much if you clone a feather out as it is real easy to put back in.

Does PS Elements have a Shadow / Highlight tool? I'm not sure, but it could help you out a bit.

Alfred Forns
01-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Donna I like the pose and expression captured Crop is not bad at all You can compose

For printing the main problem you are going to have is the image is a bit dark Trying to lighten in PS will introduce some noise I think I would go ahead and lighten and take my chances with noise

When you make the image remember to have data in the fifth box of your histogram (the right one)

btw PS 5.0 does have curves Would try levels and play with the mid tone slider Would download and work but I'm on the road Can do so after I return home in one week

George DeCamp
01-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey Donna!

Welcome to BPN!!

Lucky you to have had the opportunity to photograph this bird. I would like to see the original but what you have here will be hard to improve I think. It really is tough to get this one better, seems soft probably from the high iso as you said and the scope probably not the optimum glass for a camera (even though it is a good scope!!). All you can do is try to brighten it but it may show more noise. I guess it depends on what you hope to use it for and at what size. Try to bump up the contrast with the brightness and see if that works.

Donna Lorello
02-09-2008, 11:08 AM
sorry for the delay in posting the original image. I just started my student teaching portion for teacher certification. Here's the original image untouched in any way other than decreasing the image size to within suitable size requirements.

I do appreciate any and all feedback and I look forward to learning all I can with spring coming soon!!

And many thanks for the warm welcome! I do hope once I finish my teacher prep requirements, I'll be able to share even more of my images to hone my developing skills.