PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Moth

Art Kornienko
12-21-2008, 10:21 AM
This was a very small moth parked on a blade of grass. The crop is about 40%. Taken with 20D, 300 F4L IS, F 6.3, ISO 200, 1/800 second. DOF was so narrow that the right side is OOF, wish I had noticed this at time of taking the photo. :)

denise ippolito
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Wow! The colors look so good-the curling vine is perfect-I think this is great! I like the diagonal blade and the placement of the moth.

Ed Vatza
12-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Art,

First off, beautiful butterfly/moth. Either that is one tiny butterfly or one big blade of grass. You commented about the focus. The left wing looks great. The right needs more focus. (Sounds like politics! :D). I also like the background with the exception of the single grass blade sticking out in the UR. For some reason, it distracts me. But it should be possible to clone that out if predisposed. All that said, I like this image. Just wish for better focus.

Mike Moats
12-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey Art, a very fine and colorful image. I don't mind the bottom of the BG but agree with Ed on the stem in the upper right corner, a bit distracting. Easy to clone out.

Art Kornienko
12-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi and thanks Ed, you are absolutely right about the balde of grass sticking out and that's what I like about this forum. I never noticed it. It's strange how you can look at your own picture and not see things, but when you look at others, you alwasy spot things. Thanks again for your comments.

Aristotle Georgiou
12-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Besides the OOF wings on the right this is absolutely stunning. I love the look of this moth, excellent composition and the colours work so well in this image.

If you don't mind me asking what part of the world you find this specie of moth?

Julie Kenward
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh Art! If only that one wing...

Still, I think it's certainly worth keeping. The colors are stunning and with the one stem cloned out I think people would be hard pressed not to fall in love with it.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Love the colors, the COMP, and the curlicues at the bottom. Better to use eiither the Patch Tool in conjunction with the Clone Stamp (see Divide and Conquer in recent BAA Bulletin) or a QM to get rid of the obtrusive blade of grasss u-r. I used the former technique and then did some Selective Sharpening of the right wing.

Art Kornienko
12-22-2008, 06:59 AM
As usual, super job Artie, thank you very much, looks so much better.

Arthur Morris
12-22-2008, 07:11 AM
You are most welcome sir. And I just came up with another idea... Back in a few.

Arthur Morris
12-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Ah ha. I think that this version is much better. I QMed the black border of the upper left wing and flipped and warped it to fit the upper right wing. Then I selected only the black borders with a QM and ran another contrast mask on that: Unsharp Mask: 30/65/1.

Art Kornienko
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Great idea Artie, certainly I agree, this one is the best. That's what I love about this forum are the great ideas and help you can get. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.

Arthur Morris
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
YAW and I agree abour BPN. And Happy Chanukah and holidays to you! <smile>