PDA

View Full Version : More Winter Leaves

Mike Moats
12-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Found this pair stuck together in the ice. I liked the comp and the curl in the right leaf.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Tripod, Natural Light, F32

denise ippolito
12-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Mike, what I think is interesting about this photo is that the comp. works well turned to the left 90 degrees as well as to the right 90 degrees and even flipped.I personally liked it to the left 90 degrees- I like the ice BG . it doesn't look like ice . It looks like some kind of marble-very nicely done

Mike Moats
12-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey Denise, I originally shot it as a horizontal in mind but than change my mind when I processed it. It does seem to work well in all positions. Thanks.

Anita Bower
12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Very nice. The ice provides an excellent background.

Julie Kenward
12-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I also love this one...love how the ice looks more like a marble floor than a patch of ice. The tones of the yellow and browns are lovely together!

Ed Vatza
12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I like this image a lot, Mike. The ice background here is wonderful. It has pattern. It has texture. Very nice. And I like the choice of leaves here. Nice job.

But I do have a question. In response to my teasel image you said "I don't shoot alot because of the lack of color, which doesn't sell well for me". So I am wondering, do your leaf and ice images (and other similar images) sell? Or are these images you are basically making for you yourself. And if they sell, they sell. If they don't, they don't. Just curious. Well and trying to get a grasp on what sells and what doesn't. :D

Mike Moats
12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey Ed, I have a few leaf in ice images that sell ok and are worth showing, and leaves in general are a great sellers as people can relate to them. The teasel is not well recognized and I find that if they did know what it is, than they aren't interested in hanging it on their walls. The teasel is better in its green, but the winter version would be real tough to sell. I have quite a few teasel shots both summer and winter that I shoot for fun, or posting on the nature sites, but they don't sell well at an art show. I shoot the winter leaves for fun and I think they look great, and to the right buyer they sell, but sales for these images are much less than the vibrant colored images.

Aristotle Georgiou
12-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Wonderful shot Mike, and like the series of leaves in ice.

Great work.