PDA

View Full Version : Cicada

adcolon
12-20-2008, 03:02 PM
From Cambalache State Forest, Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Canon 30D, Canon 180mm macro w/ext tube and 580X flash. ISO 100, f/16 @ 1/250 sec.

Ed Vatza
12-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Good detail in the wing, Alfredo. The thorax seems just a touch soft to my weary eyes. There are two hot spots seen mid-body through the wing that is distracting. It keeps me staring at that spot. My eye just locks in on them.

Julie Kenward
12-20-2008, 07:20 PM
This is a great example of how minor changes in post production can make a big overall change to an image. You had several "hot spots" that Ed mentioned and all I did was use other areas of the cicada to clone over those spots. In a few places I simply used the clone set to "darken" and 30-50% opacity to bring down the level of the bright hot white areas.

I also selected the entire lower area of the image beneath the leaf the cicada is on and darkened that down to keep my eye from going there. Once done, I brought the midtones up just a touch using levels again.

I hope you like what I did. I think it makes the cicada look much more realistic and less "flashed."

Mike Moats
12-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey Alfredo, cool subject, and like the slight adjustments Jules made. Good details and comp

adcolon
12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the comments and for taking time to make and explain the adjustments.

Aristotle Georgiou
12-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Nice shot, with good detail and like the composition. I like what Jules has done, but what I do find distracting is the over flashed wing.