PDA

View Full Version : Love is in the air

Roman Kurywczak
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I went out for the day with Al and Fabs Forns........so needless to say.....I had a great day! In the afternoon....we ventured to one of my favorite places in S. Florida, Butterfly World, for some macro work. I noticed these 2 lovebirds on the tree...and it required some moving around to find a pleasing BG.
Canon 1D Mark 3 with the Sigma 180mm macro and the MT 24 twin lights at minus 1 &1/3 power, ISO 800 and f16 for 1/125 second. Ventured from my normal f22 or 32......to allow for more ambient light on the BG......as they were pretty parallel to the plane. Hand held. (tripods not allowed).

Dave Mills
12-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Fine job on this one Roman!

denise ippolito
12-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Roman, really nice colors and composition- How do you like that sigma 180-cause the price of the canon 180 is a little high

Ed Vatza
12-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi Roman,

Trust you're enjoying the warmth. We survived snow, sleet and freezing rain yesterday amd expect more tomorrow. Yippee!

I think you've got great detail in the butterflies. They look great. And the background is excellent as well. I know I am a little crazy but with images like this, I find myself turning the laptop sideways to get a "better" look at the image. This could work well with a 90 degree rotate. Although then we might say to level the horizon! ;)

Julie Kenward
12-20-2008, 07:08 PM
You turn your laptop, Ed? I just turn my entire head around!

Nice macro Roman. There's just nothing about this I don't love - the focus, the BG, the colors...it all works. You've got enough around the edges to keep the image from feeling tight but nothing extra getting in the way.

How do you like the Sigma 180???

Roman Kurywczak
12-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Jules,
I love it! As I explained to Denise......it was rated as just as sharp as the Canon by a few people.....only the finish was bad. I have mine for about 4 or 5 years.......and it is great! Finish is starting to wear.......but for a lot less $$$......and considering how I tend to treat my equipment.....I can live with it. I am also hearing great things about sigma new 150mm macro. Not sure if it is the 180 replacement....or just another new model.

Ed Vatza
12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
I am also hearing great things about sigma new 150mm macro. Not sure if it is the 180 replacement....or just another new model.

Roman,

I am not sure if Sigma updated the 150 recently but I have a Sigma 150 as well as a Sigma 70 and they are two dynamite macro lenses. And I have heard nothing but good things about the 180. As far as I know Sigma is still making the three. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Mike Moats
12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey Roman, image is very well done. Good details, light and BG.

Aristotle Georgiou
12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Great shot Roman!

I like the composition, nice even light, good detail and excellent behavior.

I also own a 150 sigma and love it. I'm also thing about buying the 180 for butterflies and dragonflies.

Gus Cobos
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I like it as presented Roman,
Well done Sir. you have sharp details and good color rendition...I like the composition...:cool: