ISO 250
1.3 SEC. AT F/20
Incandescent light
AWB
Tripod w/ timer
cropped

Julie Kenward
12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Denise I really like this but feel there are parts that could use a little more DOF. Can you tell me why you chose to use a long exposure? How did you find it changed your finished image over one that would have been made at a more 'normal' shutter speed?

denise ippolito
12-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Julie, I didn't pick the shutter speed. I chose the aperature and ISO -which gave me that shutter speed-I chose f/20-because I couldn't get the lines on the stem to come out using a wider aperature-I tried them all-This seemed to give me the definition I was going for-everything else looked soft-should I of settled for softer?Would it be more appealing?I also changed my ISO-but wasn't happy w/ that look either, I went back and forth to my computer till I thought I got it right. Oh well back to the drawing board

Julie Kenward
12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Denise I definitely wouldn't throw this one out...I was just surprised to see 1.3 seconds as a shutter speed. I'm really intrigued by how focused the two green areas that shoot off the main stem are yet the main stem seems soft. I also think the composition would have been a little bit stronger if that back leaf was dead sharp.

Might try taking two images and merging them next time...clone out the soft petal in the BG and add in the one that was more in focus giving you the appearance of more DOF. It's a thought...

denise ippolito
12-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Julie, That's a good idea! Thanks for your help

Roman Kurywczak
12-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey Denise,
I wanted to say more DOF........but this could go the other way too. I've debated this one for a while.........this one has huge potential IMO and is worth further exploration. I find the composition.......from the center of the green stem.......to the right......very appealing.......but my eye is drawn out the left with all that is going out of the frame. Try this........crop off the left....just to the right where the stem fold is on the bottom.....straight up.....I then might go for a little off the right too.....1/2 way between frame edge and petal......this makes a very nice vert.........and not sure DOF matters/comes into play here........has a nice mood.......like im peeking out behind the iris. Whadayathink?

denise ippolito
12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Do you mean like that? Thanks Roman for taking the time to help me

Roman Kurywczak
12-20-2008, 03:23 PM
OK......don't know what happened.....but here goes again. I was thinking more like this originally.....so I will re-post it......but after playing with the crops........I may go with your re-post.......maybe a hair more off the left......then clone/patch.....the lighter area in the stem.

denise ippolito
12-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Roman, I like yours better-I just wasn't sure where you meant. It looks cleaned -up!

Ed Vatza
12-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I've really enjoyed this thread and the evolution of this image. I thought the original looked good. I often go with longer exposures as a trade off for the greater dof that we often look for/need.

But then I also have to say that each of the two iterations (Denise's and Roman's) looked better than the original which I already liked. Very interesting!

Art Kornienko
12-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Purple Iris' are my favourite flower, but this crop doesn't work for me. I think we are missing too many interesting parts of the flower and showing too much of the green stem. I prefer Roman's crop. The lighting is very nice.