PDA

View Full Version : I Want A Dslr!!

Doug West
01-19-2008, 06:43 AM
While working the midnite shift and reading some mindless posts on other forums, I came up with this light-hearted look on purchasing a dslr for the first time…

I Want A DSLR!

When a person buys their first gun, its suggested a course in firearms
should be taken.

<O:p</O:p
To get a drivers license, a person has to pass a written and driving test.

Why isn’t there some type of course or test for first time dslr buyers?

Sound silly?

Consider these real life encounters…

1. Bosque 2006 – An IPT participant shows up with that years most expensive Nikon dslr along with the longest Nikon zoom. By the end of the IPT he told me he was going to sell his gear cause photography wasn’t what he expected (if only he shot Canon, I probably could’ve got that gear for $1).

2. Florida 2007 – After a 3 day IPT and on day one with James Shadle, this person finally asks why his flight pictures are ending up so out of focus. Seems he thought that when the red light was on, that meant don’t shoot.

3. A person takes all of their pictures in raw, but can’t understand why none of the image editing programs will open up anything.

4. A person has been shooting in one format and changes to another, or maybe changes to another color space and thinks there’s something wrong with their camera cause the name of the files have changed.

5. Their pictures are always under/over exposed and blame it on the camera.

6. Somebody wants to know why the pictures of their kids basketball game are always blurry even though they’re shooting in Sports Mode.

7. When buying a new dslr, one of the first requirements, a camera that takes great pictures.

8. They believe an 8.2mp camera will take better pictures than an 8mp camera.

9. One person wanted to know where to send his raw files to get developed.

10. A new dslr user used Windex to clean his sensor and wanted the camera company to give him a new camera.

11. There’s a dead pixel, but the owner is calling for a class action suit.

12. Worried about the crop factor, even though they’ve never, ever used a film camera.

13. The question is asked…what does Ae, Tv and M stand for?

Don’t even getting my started on purchasing a lens :p

BTW, feel free to add to the list.

Doug

Jim Poor
01-19-2008, 08:55 AM
1. Bosque 2006 – An IPT participant shows up with that years most expensive Nikon dslr along with the longest Nikon zoom. By the end of the IPT he told me he was going to sell his gear cause photography wasn’t what he expected (if only he shot Canon, I probably could’ve got that gear for $1).

Should bought it anyway and then sold it again :D

JH Tugs
01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Of course, almost all of the above apply to any digital camera (apart perhaps from the RAW file thing).

What interests me these days is going to school events. These are the great equalizer, as you have the full spread of incomes, skills, interests, etc - a pretty broad spectrum. Recently I've noticed that probably 4 in 10 camera users at these events have DSLRs. Not only that, but I am delighted to see that the balance of men and women touting a DSLR is almost even - there is no sexism when it comes to these cameras!

Unfortunately I see many of the things listed above happening - but that's cool I guess. So long as it makes them happy, then more power to them. If they don't read the manual for their expensive DSLR, chances are they won't read it for a compact either - and since the owner in question is highly likely to operate their compact or DSLR in either fully automatic or scene mode, they'd be just as "bad" with either device so I figure what the hey, let them have their fun.

Number 7 makes me laugh though. I have the following in my flickr profile:

Favorite Phrase: "Your camera takes great photos". Yep, I just put batteries in and let it go :)

James Shadle
01-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Doug,
I'm glad I was able to help you out with that "red light" issue you were having.:D

James Shadle
01-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I need a computer?
That is a real question from a prospective digital camera customer.
This was before prints from digital files were widely available at retailers.

What is photoshop? It cost how much?!
James

Doug West
01-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Doug,
I'm glad I was able to help you out with that "red light" issue you were having.:D

Hey, hey, hey...now I was nice and didn't mention that the person I
was talking about was a Nikon user. I didn't want readers think there
was a pattern here :)

Doug

Alfred Forns
01-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks Doug !!!! I had a good laugh

btw I saw a person returning a flash to a local store Salesperson asked what was wrong ..... I wanted to make a picture of the moon but it did not reach ..... he wanted a more powerful unit !!!!!! It is real !!!