PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Rainbow

Fabs Forns
12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Caught this while driving on the open road with Dale and Judy. There was a lot of steam everywhere from the sudden temperature drop. And a bunch of rainbows.

Date: 12/16/08
Time: 10:44:22 AM
Model: NIKON D3
Firmware: Ver.1.11
Frame #: 4211
Lens (mm): 200
ISO: 320
Aperture: 8
Shutter: 1/250
Exp. Comp.: 0.0
Flash Comp.:
Program: Manual
Focus Mode: AF-S
White Bal.: AUTO
ICC Profile: sRGB Profile

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Cool affect but I am not too keen on the dark FG.

Dave Mills
12-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I like the rainbow and the effect it has on the rocks. I agree that the foreground, which is very dominant, is not that interesting and takes up a fairly large proportion of the image

Roman Kurywczak
12-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Fabs,
It was great going out with you and Al yesterday. I really enjoyed it very much and look forward to a few more outings.

I agree with the others that the FG is a bit dominant.........but how much......that is the trick. I also feel that the tree/fg area.....could use a bit more selective color>black......as I generally prefer my silhouettes darker(difference between slides we discussed earlier in the day).......definitely subjective though. I then explored a few crops........some off the bottom (about a 1/4 inch above your signature)....and then proportionally off the left....without clipping the dead tree branches. It did improve the comp a bit and adressed some of the FG issues the others had above. I then went for an additional crop.........this time from the left again..........but just left some space on the left of the taller evergreen at ridgeline....with a proportional one off the top. This was a very agressive crop........and while I liked it..........not to everyones tastes. I offered it for others to see some other options when composing their images.

D. Robert Franz
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi Fabs,

I sure liked the ice rainbow but struggled with my comp as well. I think Roman is on the right track.. If I had it to do over again I might have pulled out my longer lens for a tighter comp.... This would have emphasized the rainbow more. I really like the tree in the canyon that intersects the rainbow and I remember when taking the image of how could I emphasize it more???