PDA

View Full Version : American Bison

Rich Phalin
12-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Buffalo from Wyoming. Taken on a workshop with Dale Franz. Had a great time.
Canon MarkIIN
70-200mm f4
ISO200

Rich Phalin
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe someone can give me some tips on posting. The image looked a lot sharper before I uploaded and posted it. Seemed made it a little to big to. First time posting.

Robert Amoruso
12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Rich,

Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5598 and look under the first posting by Artie. He goes over his workflow for a small JPG for posting under "Free Excerpt: Creating an Action for your BPN J-PEGS". This should get you going.

I downloaded the image and did some PSCS3 work on it as follows.

1) Shadows/Highlights adjustment at Shadows 45/25/0, Highlights 13/25/0. See my workflow tutorial at http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 for more on this.
2) Sharpened it using USM one pass at 175/0.3/0 and two passes at 125/0.2/0.

I like the snowy scene and how you got him with snow coming down. I also like his pose and stance. I have photographed bison before and I know getting them in the best position is not always possible but ideally getting him away from the tree behind his rear side would be ideal. Try moving left in this case and perhaps he would have watched as you move allowing another image to be made.

I got some weird artifacts in the sky but working on the original should not be a problem.

Rich Phalin
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Robert for the help.

D. Robert Franz
12-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey Rich, very nice first post. Glad to have you aboard. Remember this shot well. Roberts PP work looks very good. Limit is 800 pixels on the long side...

Sabyasachi Patra
12-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Rich,

Welcome aboard!

Good image. You can certainly optimise your image using the links mentioned above. The image has a lovely feel. Angle is good. Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Alfred Forns
12-19-2008, 04:44 AM
Hi Rich !!! Nice seeing you posting here !!! Big Warm Welcome !!

Sure is a good looking animal Centered plamecent looks very good and has lots of feel. Wish you could have stepped to the side to have the bg tree more to the right. Love the lower angle and eye contact.

Agree with Robert on opening the shadows up a little but might not go as far? Not right or wrong here just a mater of taste. Would try bringing detail particualrly around the face area. You did very well with the base exposure these are not easy to expose !!! Big Congrats !!!

Grady Weed
12-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Big welcome. Problems with the image are already noted. Keep clicking and posting, learn with each frame. And thanks for your efforts.

Fabs Forns
12-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey Rich, how great to have here with us, excellent critique above, and please, anything you need, just holler :)

It was a great time, wasn't it? (I'm still cold)

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey Rich so glad to see you posting and a wonderful first post. Look forward to seeing many more !!! Great meeting you last week and keep them coming. Sure appreciated the glove warmers < smile >.