ISO 200
1/60 sec. at f/ 5.6
focal length 67 mm
natural light
Tripod-mirror lock-up w/ remote

Ed Vatza
12-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Denise,

I like the concept here but the execution isn't quite working for me here. I think I am seeking more order among the petals and I'm not finding it. Maybe a little bit more dof might help, I'm not sure. I'd also like to see the petals be a little whiter. Maybe +1/3 or 2/3 EV might have made the whites whiter without blowing them out. Either a little exposure compensation or some Clorox! :)

Mike Moats
12-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey denise, I'm affraid Ed and I see something different and thats OK because its all subjective. I like this one. Some of the petals look white and some look dark from the shadows but I think it looks good that way. I also like the choice of DOF and the BG.

denise ippolito
12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Ed,sorry I should have been more clear with my description of the flower-It was not a stark white gerbera, it was more of a cream color, I wasn't going for a stark studio look hence the natural light as far as DOF I'm quite happy w/ the look-thankyou for your comments,much appreciated

Julie Kenward
12-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Denise I think they might both be right - I like that it's not stark white but I can see why it feels "cloudy" to Ed...maybe just crank it up a tiny bit more on the levels?

I love the feel of this one...very natural and soft. I do find myself wanting to get rid of that hot white spot near one of the lower petals. Not sure if it was a water drop but it's pretty OOF and I'd rather see that gone so it's not catching my eye.

Also wouldn't hurt to have just a slight bit more canvas on the right side...I like that it's up close but feel it's really pushing the edge of that frame. Again...NOT MUCH more...just a tiny bit to give the leaves a place to go "ah..."