PDA

View Full Version : My First Snowy Owl

Axel Hildebrandt
12-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I went to Long Island this morning and hoped to find a snowy owl. After a couple of hours I found this beautiful bird and was able to make some images. This is almost full frame, just cropped for composition.

Thanks to MichaelM who gave me very good directions, which helped a lot! Another surprise was that I ran into Artie Morris. I hope he found the snowies, too.

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/400s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 400

Ramon M. Casares
12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Wonderfull setting, love the perch, ambient and light, exposure, pose, colours and detail are excellent, I am glad you found what you were looking for. Very nice! Congratulaitons!

Jerry van Dijk
12-18-2008, 02:44 PM
That perch is amazing! I like the composition you chose with this. In combination with the owl and the empty, sandy BG this looks like something from a fantasy movie! Great work.
- Jerry -

MichaelM
12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Glad you found it!!

Superb image. I have been watching the light all day, contemplating my escape from work!

David Hemmings
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Very nice Axel, congrats on getting the shot you went for. I really like the unique setting. Nice angle and nice soft light add to the wintery feel. Maybe the perch is pretty strong but I dont think in this case it affects the image adversely.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Very nice Axel, love the perch and composition. Nice clean background

Tony House
12-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Congrats on finding the Owl, always nice when a plan comes together. Curious, was you shooting from a car or was this a careful approach? The owl's here will not tolerate any movement, so being in place or in the car is the only approach, just wondered if the Snowy Owl's are more tolerant.

Nice work.
Tony

Axel Hildebrandt
12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Congrats on finding the Owl, always nice when a plan comes together. Curious, was you shooting from a car or was this a careful approach? The owl's here will not tolerate any movement, so being in place or in the car is the only approach, just wondered if the Snowy Owl's are more tolerant.

Nice work.
Tony

Thanks, Tony. This was on the beach and I walked slowly toward the owl.

Marko Matesic
12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Lovely setting ...composition and soft light are fantastic!!

Todd Frost
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
One sweet image. The perch is much larger than what we usually see here but that is one of the things that makes the image so different and appealing. Exposure and detail handled very well.

Todd

Steve Maxson
12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Axel. I like everything about this image - the low angle, the sharpness, the simple composition, and the subtle colors. I would be thrilled to have this image. Having said that, I wonder if the image would be even stronger with a different head angle - say, looking at something between you and the left side of the frame and thus leaving the viewer to wonder what the bird is gazing at and why (it's that "different strokes" thing, I guess). Were you able to shoot more than just this head angle?

Axel Hildebrandt
12-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi Axel. I like everything about this image - the low angle, the sharpness, the simple composition, and the subtle colors. I would be thrilled to have this image. Having said that, I wonder if the image would be even stronger with a different head angle - say, looking at something between you and the left side of the frame and thus leaving the viewer to wonder what the bird is gazing at and why (it's that "different strokes" thing, I guess). Were you able to shoot more than just this head angle?

Thanks, Steve! Interesting idea. Yes, I got to photograph different head angles, and I'm quite sure I have something like what you suggested. I'll process a few more in the coming days.

Lana Hays
12-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Axel
I absolutely love this one. What an incredible scene.....it looks like a fine painting. Did you get any other angles....perhaps a vertical or in other places?

Axel Hildebrandt
12-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Axel
I absolutely love this one. What an incredible scene.....it looks like a fine painting. Did you get any other angles....perhaps a vertical or in other places?

Thanks, Lana! Yes, I made several images and will post some more in the next few days.

Raul Quinones
12-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Great picture, nice composition and colors. As mentioned above rather large perch, but you make it work.
Congrats on your first snowy.

Jeff Nadler
12-18-2008, 07:06 PM
love the setting

bill kominsky
12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
This whole image is amazing Axel yopu've really nailed it my friend, killer shot.

Bill

Grace Scalzo
12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
COngrats, Axel!! Just a beautiful image, wonderfully composed.

Ed Grella
12-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Axel,
Congrats on this beautiful image!

LouBuonomo
12-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Your the first to find him on the driftwood.

stuart wanuck
12-18-2008, 08:08 PM
just love it!

Paul Lagasi
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Congrats Axel...Its always great to see a life bird....

Michael Stern
12-18-2008, 10:17 PM
What a great image....congrats to the max...

Fabs Forns
12-18-2008, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't change a thing! Lucky you :)

Mark Schmitt
12-19-2008, 12:09 AM
It's all been said. Will only add my congratulations on a "picture perfect" image.

Juan Aragonés
12-19-2008, 07:54 AM
This one is killer Axel. I wouldn´t change a single thing in this image. the perch is fantastic and I like a lot the fact that you choose a composition with lots of habitat. I also like the idea that Steve pointed out and would love to see more of the images that you made that day. Very, very good job!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
A real WOW shot, I love everything - wouldn't change anything

Jon

David Roach
12-19-2008, 11:12 AM
A huge congratulations on your first snowy! The soft light and colors, the perch, the composition (doI really need to mention the subject); all perfection!! Just seeing one of these beauties would be amazing, let alone imaging one!! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, and your eagle eyes (not to mention expertise) , for helping to slowly improve my skills over this past year!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-19-2008, 11:18 AM
A huge congratulations on your first snowy! The soft light and colors, the perch, the composition (doI really need to mention the subject); all perfection!! Just seeing one of these beauties would be amazing, let alone imaging one!! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, and your eagle eyes (not to mention expertise) , for helping to slowly improve my skills over this past year!!!

Thank you for the kind words and you are very welcome!

Doug Brown
12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Super image Axel!