PDA

View Full Version : Stranded Whelk

Steve Maxson
12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
This live Lightning Whelk was temporarily stranded on a Sanibel Island beach at low tide. The first rays of reddish sunlight are hitting the shell and the ridges in the beach sand. 20D, 90mm tilt/shift, 0.3 sec, f/16, ISO 400. Comments are welcome.

Kaushik Balakumar
12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Love that orange light accentuating the subtle dunes of sand. Very well seen and photographed Steve. If it were me, I would clone out few specs & highlight blobs in the sand.

Gus Cobos
12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Well done Steve,
I like the composition and exposure. I like the symmetrical diagonal ripples in the sand with the slight touch of pink hew. The sea shell is placed just right in frame, and the texture is superb...good show...:cool:

Aristotle Georgiou
12-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Love the warm light shinning on the ripples of sand, nice composition and great subject placement in the frame.

Well done

Ed Vatza
12-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Very nice, Steve. I really like the composition here. And the light is lovely. In a perfect world, the sand would be cleaner but given what I see here along the Jersey shore, this looks great!

Mike Moats
12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Steve, I really like the comp. Great main subject and the lines in sand are nice. Red highlights on the sand works well, and unless your a purist I would take the time to go and clean up all the crud in the sand.

Julie Kenward
12-19-2008, 08:25 PM
What Mike said. :D;):D

It's beautifully composed and photographed but the crap around it does deter your eye a bit. Leave the darker pieces if you want but definitely clone out the whiter bits.

Arthur Morris
12-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Steve, Ah, I like Julie's honest use of the word "crap." Very refreshing and a woman after my own heart. Lovely light and sand ridges but I think that this image might have been stronger with the subject placed even more in the l-l-c.

Julie Kenward
12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Sorry...I try not to use that word too much but when the shoe fits... :D:o:D