PDA

View Full Version : Oxalis regnellii

Ed Vatza
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
a.k.a. Purple Shamrock - my wife's favorite. She's been bugging me for a year to take some pictures of it. Tonight, I finally relented. If you are familiar with this plant, you know that the leaves all fold back making dof somewhat of a challenge.

Canon Rebel XT; Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens; Canon 430EX Flash w/ LumiQuest softbox; Velbon UltraLuxis tripod; also used a 100 watt light

1.0 sec @ f/22: ISO 800; +1 2/3 EV; AWB; -1 FEC

Steve Maxson
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
An interesting plant that I'm not familiar with, Ed. It looks like you were successful with the DOF issue. I like the way the background color complements those in the leaves. I wonder if the image might be stronger if you brightened up the one dark leaf?

Aristotle Georgiou
12-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Nice close up of this interesting flower. I would agree with steve on brightening that darker leaf.

Mike Moats
12-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Hey Ed, I almost missed this one, very cool plant. I like the light with the different degrees of light hitting them. I like the comp, good details, and the BG.

Julie Kenward
12-19-2008, 08:29 PM
I miss my purple shamrock plant. After several years it finally whittled away down to nothing. I broke down a few years ago and bought a green one but that purple plant was so much more "intense!"

I really like your DOF and composition here, Ed. These plants are hard to photograph - you've done an excellent job of isolating one stem and getting it down. I do wish the stem had a different color/tone to it. Did you try to change the hue at all?