PDA

View Full Version : Computer Monitors

Howard Burkert
12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I will be in the markert for a new computer monitor. I am wondering what is being used and the approx. cost. I will use it for color corrections and retouching. Thanks for your comments and help.

Best,
Howard

Doug West
12-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm not home now, so I can't tell you the exact model, but I'm using one of
Dell's 21 inch monitor. The price won't break the bank and it constantly gets
high marks. The extra nice features about is the HDMI connections, 2 extra
USB ports and the ability to rotate the panel from horizontal to vertical.

Doug

Rocky Sharwell
12-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I have an older Apple 23 inch cinema display which I really like--It was not cheap when I bought it. It is much cheaper now--but I recently read they are using some new sort of connector which might be harder to connect. I would research the conector issue before buying an Apple--but they are really nice but pricey monitors....

Howard Burkert
12-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Doug and Rocky for your input.
Best,
Howard

Roger Clark
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
See my article on choosing an LCD monitor:

http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/choosing_an_LCD_monitor

Roger

Howard Burkert
12-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Roger, Thanks for the link to your article. Awesome amount of great information. It will be very helpful.
Best,
Howard

Axel Hildebrandt
12-20-2008, 11:43 AM
If I remember correctly the HP 2465 is a very popular monitor that is reasonably priced. The new 24'' Apple Cinema Display looks good, too. Personally, I use a 24'' iMac, the display is great and easy to calibrate to make it even better.

David Kennedy
12-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't recall perfectly, but wasn't there a class-action lawsuit against Apple not too long ago (within the last year) because their displays did not perform consistently? (Something about loose manufacturing tolerances?) They look cool, but I hesitate to buy in for that reason alone.

Kerry Perkins
12-20-2008, 03:40 PM
The only current lawsuit I know of is over advertising "millions of colors". The only one I know of concerning build quality was from 2001, and was over the inverter in the 17" Cinema Display.

I work in the cinema industry and Apple displays are used extensively. I personally use a 20" iMac and a 23" Apple Cinema Display. The are very nice monitors but somewhat pricey.

David Kennedy
12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
The only current lawsuit I know of is over advertising "millions of colors"....

OK, that's what I was thinking of.

John Chardine
12-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I have one of the older Apple Cinema displays at home, which I don't think is anywhere near as good as the monitors in the new iMacs, which are literally brilliant. Having said this, when I view images, including my own posts, on a pretty bog-standard Dell LCD at work they look very flat. BTW the Dell is running off an old Mac and it is calibrated using the Apple system software (Displays). Treading lightly here so as not to start a Windows-OS X war (which has been done to death) but I have yet to see an LCD monitor attached to a Windows machine that compares to what Apple is offering on their laptops and desktop machines. Not sure if this is to do with the signal the monitors are receiving, calibration or lack thereof, or the average LCD monitor attached to a Windows machine.

Howard Burkert
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks, Axel, David, John and Kerry for your input. What a great source of information the forum has been for me.
Best,
Howard

Jonathan Michael Ashton
12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I recently bought an Eizo Flexscan S1921, i reckon great value for money £264 plus postage so will be cheaper in the USA , my pal calibrated it for me but I think you can pay as little as £40 to several hundred pounds for calibration equipment.
The Eizo came highly recommended to me and I would equally highly recommend to any one else. I think you would have to pay more than twice or nearly three times the price to get better.

Jon

Peter Larsen
12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
If I remember correctly the HP 2465 is a very popular monitor that is reasonably priced. The new 24'' Apple Cinema Display looks good, too. Personally, I use a 24'' iMac, the display is great and easy to calibrate to make it even better.
HP discontinued this model.