PDA

View Full Version : Morris Island Lighthouse, SC

JB Ellis
12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
I wish that the sky had been better. That's why I excluded a lot of it and favored the sand dune and beach grass. What do you think? How could it have been better.

Michael Pancier
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I like the composition and the soft lighting. You can fix the sky ... easy to do with Nik Viveza

Dave Mills
12-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I think you found an interesting way to shoot a fairly straightforward subject...

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey JB,
I know this light as Folly beach light.......I photographed it many years ago and it is nice to see it is in the process of being restored. I like the concept of the dunes and grass with the light........but as presented........the left side grasses dominate the image........and are the most un-interesting. I think a vert composition......a bit tighter........but with more of the sand and shadow play........along with the grasses........would have been stronger. I always recommend to my clients........when you see something that grabs your attention.........compose it in a variety of ways.........work the scene........something spoke to you about the image......working as many angles as possible.........with what originally grabbed you......is the best course of action. Moving a few feet left or right........up or down.....sometimes makes huge differences in the image..........exploring those options........in the short window that we get as landscape photographers........maximizes the possibility of success. The image isn't bad......quite the contrary.......it is pleasing........but to take it to the next level........working the scene.....was probably all that was needed. As Michael explained........sky fix is possible with PP'ing.......or as I always recommend in the field........my signature split-grad ND filter. Nice job on getting out there when the light was sweet! Keep them coming!

PS Please post all specs you can.....shutter speed.....f-stop.......iso....etc......so we can better help with possible suggestions.

JB Ellis
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get back out there and try some more angles, lighting, etc. Roman you are right about the location. The picture was taken from Folly Beach, but we have always known it as the Morris Island Lighthouse. However the Charleston Jetties have blocked so much sand that Morris Island is all but gone (a little is left at low tide).

The data for this shot is ISO 100, F9, 1/200, 40 mm. Shot with a canon 40d and adjusted in PS Elements 6.

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2008, 08:11 AM
JB,

I think Roman gave you some excellent advice and I have nothing more to add on that account.