PDA

View Full Version : Moorhen

Paul Marcellini
12-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Judd was nice enough to let me ride along to Green Cay and Wako on Sunday. The nice early light was blocked by clouds but the mixed sky of the late morning produced some nice water effects. The water is what makes this shot for me.

Thanks for any comments,
Paul

50d, 100-400@400 iso250 f8 1/640s

Axel Hildebrandt
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I like the light and pose and would crop a bit tighter. Maybe you could desaturate the reds a few points and I wish for a lower angle if that was possible.

Paul Marcellini
12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks Axel, I think I need to desat. before saving for web. As far as angle, it was a high boardwalk, but I could go lower, just the reflection in the water went dull. I figured it was a worthwhile compromise.

Here's a crop back to 3x2. I'm used to not having much to play with from the 20d.

Doug Brown
12-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I would go tighter still and place the bird lower in the frame.

Judd Patterson
12-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Nice one Paul. I agree that the water is unique and makes a really interesting part of this image. I think I prefer the second, 2:3 ratio crop best (I might have a bias toward that ratio!). I see a fairly heavy red/magenta cast that was probably an attempt to help disguise the midday light. I think I tend to prefer less red in this image to give the water a stronger white/blue mix rather than red/blue. Nice work and it was fun to photograph with you.