PDA

View Full Version : Getting close...

Ramon M. Casares
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think I am the only one to whom there's not such thing as close enough :D So here's a shot of myself all camuflaged photographing a couple of Andean Lapwings last week in the Jujuy province Puna, I have crawled for about an hour before I could get as close and of course I was even closer an hour after the shot, hope you like it, I was using a camuflaged cape I desinged myself based on the Jedi capes from StarWars:o, covering my face I had a light camuflaged net too. Enjoy! I had such a great time working with these guys that those days will be forever in my memories!

Thanks to Debora Gardiman for taking this shot!

Beth Goffe
12-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Ramon, this is such a cool! The birds seem completely uninterested by you in your camo getup. This is basically one big drape that wraps around you plus a camo cap? Very impressive!

Ramon M. Casares
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Ramon, this is such a cool! The birds seem completely uninterested by you in your camo getup. This is basically one big drape that wraps around you plus a camo cap? Very impressive!

Beth, here's a better view of the camo cape it has buttons, holes for the arms, inside pokets, etc and it is only to use laying down or sitting very still. Enjoy!

Beth Goffe
12-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Ooh, just like Darth Vader... :D

Alfred Forns
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
.... May the Force be with you :) Great set up Ramon !!!

Ramon M. Casares
12-16-2008, 03:08 PM
ahahaa.. thanks! It not great but it does make a difference with some species.

Gus Cobos
12-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Ramon,
This is absolutely wild...I love it...you have the patience of a Saint...:eek: two hours crawling to get the shot...impressive...:D:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Even the tripod is cool, love the camo-cape!!

Ramon M. Casares
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Thank you all, I am glad you like it, it is a very cheap way to get a nice and easy to use camuflage that works greatly! The little tripod is a very cheap tripod very easy to find here in Argentina that does a great job when used for VERY LOW angles, summon here a pair of camo glasses and the face and human shape are simply gone.
Again, thanks!

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Awesome Ramon. Definitely a low angle and I love the self portrait !!! Well composed and many thanks for sharing !!!!!!

Ramon M. Casares
12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Judy, glad you like it! I apreciate you comment!

Julie Kenward
12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm gonna have to drag my sewing machine out...

Ramon M. Casares
12-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm gonna have to drag my sewing machine out...

If you do you just might get some nice shots, you just have to be very quiet, stay still when necessary and move as slow as possible, You can see in this thread (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26018) the results that I have got using this camo cape.

Juan Aragonés
12-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Superb and funny job Ramón, I have to made one of those "Jedi capes" :D
Qué la fuerza te acompañe!

Ramon M. Casares
12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
ajajaja.. Juan, gracias! It worked wonderfully in this trip, better than expected actually, now I am designing a new version of thye Camo Cape, plain green, and lighter in weight, also larger so I can cover the tripod if I want to be sitting down and with holes for sticks so I can imporvise a tent out of it, more pokets and also, water proof. I'll keep you posted!

Brad Manchas
12-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I have done something similar in several differing colors and patterns, buying lengths of camo fabric and some iron-on velcro. Placing the velcro in different places allows one to change the desired use from a drape/cape to a poncho or even a mini blind with a couple tent poles or like I have some old aluminum arrow shafts.

I found my fabric at Walmart, they have at least two woodland patterns (greens or tans, the tan matches the Advantage lens cost quite well on the 500mm) in a heavy demin type material that I treated with Camp-Dry™ waterproofing silicone. The other material I got is a leaf cut-out in a mottled dark green, much like my ghillie suit but much more convenient to use, waterproofing this would be useless of course with the loose leaf patterns but these allow making a slit through for the lens or something else much less difficult or obvious. The cost of each ran me about $20.00

Ramon M. Casares
12-21-2008, 02:37 PM
That is one good deal, sadly woodland pattern fabrics are very hard to find here in Argentina and if I do they do cost too much, also, I have come to realized that the camo it's not really a must for this type of items as a plain green will still do the job and adapt for any ambient requirement, for example, if I am in the jungle, the shadows and lights will project on the cape so there's no really need for camo patterns and the same goes for a lagoon shore where everything is more "clean" the plain green there will be more effective than a camo pattern, that is why I will go with a plaing green for the next design, but still, would love to have some nice woodland pattern fabrics to paly with! Thanks for your comment and info Brad!

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Excellent stuff Ramón (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php?u=3462)!

hats off to your dedication and skills young jedi.

Ramon M. Casares
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks Akos!