PDA

View Full Version : Relevance of APTATS to non-PS sw?

jebir
12-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Hi,

this is a question to those of you who are using multiple image editing softwares and who has some experience with Robert o'Toole's APTATS.

I'm considering getting the APTATS CDs to learn the techniques. However, I'm not using PS very much but rather Paint Shop Pro for the reason of costs. My experience is that PSP can be used for most (but not all) of the editing that PS is capable of although the commands are accessed in a slightly different manner and have different names. (Usually some imagination is all that is needed to follow a PS tutorial.)
So, my question is now if someone could give me an indication how relevant Robert's techniques would be for me? Or if I definitely would need PS-CS to take advantage of them?

Cheers, Jens.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 04:02 AM
I do not know PSP. If you cannot create Quick Masks (which seems likely), than APTATS is not for you. If you can create QMs, then the answer is maybe. In the latter case, best to e-mail Robert.

jebir
12-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks Artie,

you are correct that one of my problems here is to understand what QM in PS actually is and if (how) it differs from the way I can create masks in PSP.

Is the following a correct description of QM or is there more to it?
"With Quick Mask mode on you can easily "paint" a mask which will be turned into a selection once you pop back into Standard Mode. Painting the mask is made by selecting the Paintbrush tool or the Pencil tool. Drawing with black will paint the mask on and drawing in white will remove the mask."

If it is just that there is a QM-mode button that allows me to enter a mask-painting mode, then I think I can do the same thing with just 2 more clicks in PSP. But I'm not sure if there is more to the QM than that... which would ruin the usefulness of APTATS? Maybe Robert sees this post and can come with some input?

Cheers, Jens.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi Jebir, I am confused by what you wrote above. There is no painting with black or painting with white with QMs. They are 1000 times easier to use. I have sent a link to Robert and hope that he repsonds.

Robert O'Toole
12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks Artie,

you are correct that one of my problems here is to understand what QM in PS actually is and if (how) it differs from the way I can create masks in PSP.

Is the following a correct description of QM or is there more to it?
"With Quick Mask mode on you can easily "paint" a mask which will be turned into a selection once you pop back into Standard Mode. Painting the mask is made by selecting the Paintbrush tool or the Pencil tool. Drawing with black will paint the mask on and drawing in white will remove the mask."

If it is just that there is a QM-mode button that allows me to enter a mask-painting mode, then I think I can do the same thing with just 2 more clicks in PSP. But I'm not sure if there is more to the QM than that... which would ruin the usefulness of APTATS? Maybe Robert sees this post and can come with some input?

Cheers, Jens.

Hello Jens,

Thanks for asking. The techniques on the CD use quick mask to make selections of areas of images. Then there are many uses for the selections. The key is also the soft brush choices and settings. Also I use transform and warp in some tutorials.

The tutorials on the CD then cover a few uses for the selection technique. Some tools and techniques might be usable in PSP and some would not. I couldn't say for sure since I dont have access to PSP.

I wrote the tutorials for PS-CS since it is the most popular image editing software with nature photographers.

The second CD will be out soon with many more uses.

I hope this helps.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I think some things would be usable in PSP such as basic QM selections but the rest such as transform or layer blend mode changes would not be, but I cant be sure since I dont have any access to PSP.

Sorry I did not answer that important point the first time, I edited my first response with a more complete answer.

Robert

Michael Pancier
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Robert, since we're kind of on topic, have you updated APTATS for CS 4?

Howard Burkert
12-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Robert, Please send me information when the second CD is ready. The first CD still amazes me everyday..... Any projected date yet?
Best,
Howard

c.w. moynihan
12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Get Photoshop elements for like $75.00 if that isn't too much for your budget. It is way more powerful for image editing than Paint Shop Pro.

Charles Glatzer
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Get Photoshop elements for like $75.00 if that isn't too much for your budget. It is way more powerful for image editing than Paint Shop Pro.

Agreed, the new PS Elements is wonderful and now includes layers :)

Chas

Joerg Rockenberger
12-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Jebir, I am confused by what you wrote above. There is no painting with black or painting with white with QMs. They are 1000 times easier to use. I have sent a link to Robert and hope that he repsonds.

I think there is a misunderstanding. Also in Photoshop 6.0 there is a mode called "Edit in Quick Mask" and by choosing white or black for the paintbrush color in this mode you either paint or remove a mask. The mask at least in my setup is red with opacity at 50% I think. After painting the mask in Quick Mask mode you'll switch back to standard mode where you'll see now your selection as indicated by the "walking ants".

Artie are you referring to "layer masks" when you say "quick masks"? Perhaps the two concepts were merged in the more advanced Photoshop versions. At least in Photoshop 6.0 they are two different things and behave differently.

Hope that helps. JR

Robert O'Toole
12-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Robert, since we're kind of on topic, have you updated APTATS for CS 4?

Michael
Yes I am thinking of updating APTATS1 once I finish up 2 which is in the works right now.
Any ideas for the update please email them. I was also thinking Mac and PC versions.

Thanks for asking,

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Robert, Please send me information when the second CD is ready. The first CD still amazes me everyday..... Any projected date yet?
Best,
Howard

Thanks Howard,

I am finishing #2 right now during the holidays. Please send me an email and I will add you to my newsletter list to keep you updated on the release.

Robert

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Time out... Unlike Digital Basics, APTATS I does not inlcude free udpates for life. Robert please clarify what you mean by "updating APTATS I." Thanks bud.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Artie are you referring to "layer masks" when you say "quick masks"? Perhaps the two concepts were merged in the more advanced Photoshop versions. At least in Photoshop 6.0 they are two different things and behave differently.

Hi John, I do not know... I am not a very technical person. I know that I press Q to paint a mask, B to paint, and Q to make the selection. I know and use Quick Masks as Robert O'Toole taught me and there is no painting with black or painting with white.... Ever.

Maybe Roberto will be able to answer your question.

Robert O'Toole
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I think there is a misunderstanding. Also in Photoshop 6.0 there is a mode called "Edit in Quick Mask"

This is what is referred to as "Quick Mask".

and by choosing white or black for the paintbrush color in this mode you either paint or remove a mask.

Yes you use the paintbrush tool in QM as you would with a normal layer mask.

The mask at least in my setup is red with opacity at 50% I think.

This is a Rubylithe overlay part of QM.

After painting the mask in Quick Mask mode you'll switch back to standard mode where you'll see now your selection as indicated by the "walking ants"

A Quick Mask and Layer mask are different animals as long as I have been using PS and remain so to this day.
They are similar and can do the same thing but they work differently.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Time out... Unlike Digital Basics, APTATS I does not inlcude free udpates for life. Robert please clarify what you mean by "updating APTATS I." Thanks bud.

Thanks Artie,

I will be updating APTATS1 sometime early in 2009. It will be free but you will have to send an email and sign up for the update.
I will have more details and include them in my newsletter and in Artie's BAA Bulletin.

Thank you for your interest in APTATS.

Robert

Matt Nichols
12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
I am interested in the aptats cd. Is it possible to duplicate the quick mask in photoshop elements 6.0 or 7.0? I am willing to buy CS3 but only as a last resort due to $$$.
thanks,Matt

Robert O'Toole
12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I am interested in the aptats cd. Is it possible to duplicate the quick mask in photoshop elements 6.0 or 7.0? I am willing to buy CS3 but only as a last resort due to $$$.
thanks,Matt

Sorry Matt ASAIK elements does not offer quick mask mode, so unless someone knows a trick or a hack, it will not work.
If you or anyone you know can qualify for an educational version of PS you would be able to pick it up for less than half price of the full version. PM me and I can give you a link.

Robert