PDA

View Full Version : For Artie - Dotterel

Lance Peters
12-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Dont think there was anything up to standard with the pose you wanted Artie - had to make do with ths one.

D3
Nikon 300MM F2.8 with 1.7 Converter
F4.8
1/1600TH
+0.3EV
400 ISO
Handheld in the sand.

Sharpened, Cropped (Substanial) and a little vignetting added in the corners, reds destaurated.

Comments welcome and appreciated :)

Tony Whitehead
12-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Beautiful, Lance. Really leaps off the screen. Lovely and sharp and detail holding up well for a substantial crop. Red of eye ring and beak really makes a good focal point and the head angle is great. I might lighten the small dark OOF areas. Well done.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 04:18 AM
Love the pose. Though the bird is angled slightly away from you, you waited for the perfect head angle. I just love this species. The blacks look a bit blocked and the image a bit too contrasty. The ground is the only place to be for shorebirds.

Juan Aragonés
12-16-2008, 04:43 AM
I agree with Artie about the blacks. I like the simple composition a lot and the soft colored and OOF BG helps a loto to made the B/W bird to pop in the composition. Perfect eye contact and low angle. Well done

Axel Hildebrandt
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Great angle and pose and great suggestions by Artie.

Melvin Grey
12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Beautiful 'simple' shorebird image with low angle and shallow depth of field giving way out of focus BG. Great alert position and angle on bird.
Is this not the Black-fronted Plover, Charadrius melanops?

Tony Whitehead
12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
You are correct, Melvin. I think this is an example of name drift - the lastest edition of Simpson and Day indicates it as Black-fronted Dotterel Elseyornis (Charadrius) melanops

Ákos Lumnitzer
12-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Great details for the crop whatever percentage of the original remains. Lovely separation of subject from background.

Ah, I get sick of seeing these (kidding only), they are everywhere (trying to make Artie a bit jealous, that's all).

Excellent composition and head turn as already noted. :)