PDA

View Full Version : And now for the rest of the flower (Alstroemeria)

Ed Vatza
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
After doing 1:1 Macro on this flower (see Patterns), I backed out to make a full flower image. To borrow the title of another post - "a more conventional image". Now you can see where the macro came from.

Same set up as for "Patterns" - Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens; Remote Shutter Release; Velbon Ultra Luxis tripod; incandescent indoor lighting.

1/20 sec @ f/7/1; ISO 400; +2/3 EV; Incandescent WB

Bruce Murden
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Ed -- yes, it's a more conventional image, good for documenting the flower (and showing us where the macro comp came from), and for studying the lighting used here. It feels a little static, bullseyed as it is. If you wanted more than documentary here, I'd consider a vertical to include more stem and leaf which could serve to uplift the blossom. I'm sure we'll see more grand studio work this winter!

Julie Kenward
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Bruce is right...it is rather "bullseye" but it's still a nicely exposed and detailed image. I would consider cloning the one OOF leaf at the bottom out of the frame and leave just the in focus leaf.

It does feel a little chopped off at the knees...maybe a bit more stem as Bruce suggested?

Ed Vatza
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
... I'd consider a vertical to include more stem and leaf which could serve to uplift the blossom...

There is an important lesson to be learned here. Don't let the equipment dictate the shoot particularly if you have the the proper gear at hand.

I was using the 30D and 70mm Macro on a small, lightweight Velbon tripod. Unfortunately the 70mm does not have a tripod ring (like the Sigma 150 that I often use). The tripod ring makes it easy to go vert. Loosen the ring, rotate the camera and lens, and voila. But with the Velbon, I have to flip over the head to go vertical. Unfortunately this little tripod (which I use as a table top) can't support the 30D and 70mm lens with the head flipped without tipping. So I stuck with the horizontal composition. I could have used a sturdier tripod. Or I could have switched to the 150. But alas, I did neither.

In short, you are correct. The image should have been a vert. :o

Mike Moats
12-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Ed, this is your classic flower shot. Good details and I don't mind black BG as they have a more contemporary look. Agree that a more artistic look would be a vert. with some stem added in. I love the rotating collar on the longer focal length lenses as it really make shooting easier than having to rotating the head.