PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman

Julie Kenward
12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
While going back through some older images today I found this one of a spider as he was spinning his web. I still can't believe I didn't stop and do something with this at the time but here it is now, three months later...

Yes, I wish the entire underbelly was perfectly in focus but I thought it was an interesting view nonetheless.

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f2.8 @ 1/500th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering
Handheld, natural light, overcast and misty
Processed in ACR and CS3; set white and dark points, brightened, sharpened

Ed Vatza
12-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Hello again,

I must start by saying that I tried some spider shots similar to this back when we had our challenge several months back. That experience gave me newfound respect for the spider men and ladies out there. It not easy getting that perfect shot of the spider. the web, the droplets, the background. Finally, I just gave up.

I think the biggest "problem" here is that the spider, web, droplets combination doesn't work well at f/2.8. I think you need a lot more dof here. You've already point some of that out. I think the bellies and the legs need to be much sharper. I'm also not real keen on the light here. The dew drops don't sparkle the way I would like to see them. And to my eye, the BG needs some color in it.

Other than that... :) Just another penny's worth.

Bruce Murden
12-15-2008, 12:49 PM
The high key look here works, but you two already nailed the issue that could be improved next time. The in focus drops pull us away from the spider. Maybe he'll pose for you again in the spring, an f/8 will work for you.

Mike Moats
12-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey Jules, at first I didn't care for the lack of DOF and thought it needed more drops in focus, but the more I study it I think it works fine as is. The high key look is also interesting.