PDA

View Full Version : ON GOLDEN POND GREY HERON

christopher galeski
12-14-2008, 07:28 AM
ANOTHER SHOT OF THIS HERON,I HAVE PUT 2UP ON HERE ,THIS ONE IS WHEN THE SUN AS COME UP A BIT HIGHER,GIVING THIS BEUTIFUL GOLDEN LIGHT,I TOOK ABOUT 200HUNDRED DIFFERENT SHOTS OF THIS BIRD,AT DIFFERENT LIGHTING AS THE SUN ROSE.THANKS.CANNON40D,400MM PRIME LENS,F8.0,1/500 SEC,ISO400,HANDHELD,CROPPED,TWEEKED IN PS.

Leroy Laverman
12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
It sure is fun when you have a cooperative bird and good light. In this shot I'm wishing you were a few steps to the right to get the better head angle. The reeds in the URC are distracting to me (the reflection of them is nice though). A tighter crop I think would be better. The colors look odd to me somehow and on my screen the contrast looks way too high. Given the warmth of the light I'm puzzled why the beak has so little color. I would think the yellow beak would really stand out with warm light. I do like the ruffled feathers, especially on the neck.

Doug Brown
12-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree with Leroy about the crop, the contrast, and also about the lack of saturated color on the bird. A pose with a slight head turn towards the viewer would be nice.

Arthur Morris
12-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I like the dramatic angled light. A nice pano crop top and bottom would be nice. The head angle is actually fine; it is the fact that the head is partially hidden behind the bird's bent neck that bugs me. Good job with a tough EXP.

christopher galeski
12-15-2008, 11:26 AM
thankyou for your remarks,to leroy and doug,I have only used a bit of contrast,and as for saturated colour this was how I saw the bird,it was like someone had switched aspot light on the heron,that is why I took the shots,for the unusual lighting.asfor the bill thats the colour it was.thanks.