PDA

View Full Version : Patterns

Ed Vatza
12-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Alstroemeria. Bought some cut flowers this afternoon. I really like the patterns seen in this flower.

Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens (Image made is 1:1); Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod; Used available indoor incandescent lighting instead of flash.

1/2 sec @ f/22; ISO 1000; +1 1/3EV; Incandescent WB

Kaushik Balakumar
12-14-2008, 05:05 AM
You've opted an unusual way to expose this frame Ed. Under normal circumstances I wud tend to immediately remark on bringing down the bright areas; but not in this case.
For some reason I like this exposure Ed.
The dotted patterns in the BG petals adds to the image. And I especially liked the inclusion of the pink regions in the LRC.
However, am not so sure about the left side of the frame where I feel it is a bit too tight. I presume that your idea was to keep the stamens on the diagonal but I still feel that a bit of space on the left & perhaps a little bit on top may be required.
Just my thoughts... :)

Julie Kenward
12-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Kaushik said exactly what I was thinking! Love the exposure, Ed, even though it isn't "normal" and I even like that the fuscia color on the right looks almost oversaturated. I, too, feel the left side is just a tiny bit crowded. I can see what you were going for and another 1/8-1/4" might have left me feeling less crowded on that side.

I think it's a very unusual image overall and I mean that in a good way. It's hard to take a flower's portrait and not end up with the same ol' thing and this is anything but.

Ed Vatza
12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Kaushik, Julie,

Thank you for bringing a smile to face on this otherwise downer of a day for me. Been in a crappy mood all day. That happens when you get up at 4 am drive 100 miles, spend three hours searching for a Snowy Owl that was nowhere to be found, saw way to many southbound ends of northbound birds, and and came home with virtually nothing worthwhile in the camera.

Anyway, I got a kick out of your comments about the left side of the image. There is a left but I didn't particularly like it so I cropped it out. :) But if you want some, you got it. I went back and put a little of the left side back in. If you want more, let me know. I still have some more on the cutting room floor! :D

Julie Kenward
12-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes sir, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Sorry to hear you had a crappy day, Ed. I've been going through the last two months of images and trashing all the ones that aren't up to snuff and it's WAY more than I would like to admit...so I feel your pain. I have several (and by several I mean, oh, like 30!) extremely blurry bluejay images if that would make you feel any better?

Misery loves company so jump on in!

Kaushik Balakumar
12-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Ed, I like your repost a lot. This one looks better balanced. Thanks for posting this one.
And better luck with snowy owls the next time... :)

Mike Moats
12-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Hey Ed, the repost and the addition on the left side really helped. Good details and comp.

denise ippolito
12-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Ed, The colors are great and the detail on the stamens could be a stand alone shot! well-done