PDA

View Full Version : The Tallest Tree

Julie Kenward
12-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Taken a few weeks ago on a beautiful autumn morning, I finally got around to working on the image tonight. This is pretty close to SOOC with a simple levels adjustment to punch up the already-white bark on the trees and then I did a color balance to tone down the yellow levels in the grass.

My question is does this composition work or does it feel too heavy on the left side with that giant tree? Should I maybe try a vertical crop of just the tree instead of the horizontal crop I have presented here?

Any other suggestions/comments would be much appreciated.

Oh, and for the record, yes - the sky really was that blue. That's why they call it the great Midwest. ;)

Canon 40D, EF17-40 f/4L
f14 @ 1/250th, ISO 200
Manual Mode, Pattern metering, natural morning light
Processed in ACR & CS4

Roman Kurywczak
12-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey Jules,
I've debated this for a while.........I think this would have worked better with the lone tree vert. It has such an interesting pattern of branches and yet some of them get lost in the BG forest. Isolating that tree against the blue sky.....would have definitely been worth exploring.......but you may not have been able to seperate it enough from the rest of the BG trees even by getting closer.........only one way to find out......check it out! This may also make a very interesting specimen with snow or ice on it....so worth looking into.

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Roman captured my first thought when I looked at this image. I would use a super wide angle and get close, go low and shoot up to get it against the blue sky.