PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is Me?

Julie Kenward
12-13-2008, 06:35 PM
How much of me is me?

How much is who I really am and how much is what's rubbed off on me over the course of the past 48 years? How much of what I think and feel is who God created and how much is the environment I grew up in leaving it's mark on me?

I've been asking myself these very questions for the past several years.
Little by little I've been able to pull off the masks and peel off the layers that this world has layed on me. I've got so much work left to do - so much to remember about who I once was - but I'm getting there. Slowly but surely I'm getting there.

I wonder if this is not the point of life? That we are to go through the spin cycle of the every day only to wake up one morning with an intense desire to get back to where it was we came from while still keeping all the experiences, love, and disappointments of our past? Is the point of all these days, weeks, years, and decades to take what we were when God made us, add in all the things life does to us and for us and then get back to who God made us to be - but with the new depth and breadth that can only come from living one's life?

I stand one year and one month away from turning 50 and I wonder tonight - How much of me...is me?

James Shadle
12-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Julie,
Something about the number 50 that will make you sit back and ask, was I ever who I thought I was? Am I who I think I am? Will I ever be who I want to be?
The older I get, the better I was!:)

Lance Warley
12-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Have you ever listened to Bob Dylan's work from the mid-60's? You'll find some definitely kinship there. If you're interested, Blonde on Blonde is a good place to start.

Also The Band, by The Band, and Mr. Tambourine Man, by The Byrds. Two groups who worked closely with Dylan.

You'll find some kindred spirits there.

"...After all these years, I'm still on that road..."

Stefan Minnig
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I believes that God's desire for us to grow and see new things is never-ending. There is always a new aspect in life that reveals God in a different way.

Stefan

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey Jules,
Had some time...so decided to lurk here :D........while I'm slightly younger (5 years)....when I look back I keep saying.....what was I thinking???......so much of my time was mis-spent and self destructive.......not in a horrible way........but pointless and directionless. I find myself in a better place now......and i don't want to go back! My wife and photography (she gave me my first camera 21 years ago) saved me in a way......because it gave me an outlet for all my misdirected energy. I've arrived in a better place and now look at what I have become with some pride. I look back at who I was........and I'm glad he's gone! Don't want to go back. I'm looking forward to my 2nd half of life with a new vision & made a promise to myself....I'm not going to waste a moment looking back. Questioning every decision. I will cherish just how precious life is and what has been given to me. I also know that the foolishness of my youth is part of me...and to him I say thanks......he is what drives me today and I believe that because of him......I am a better father, son, brother, & husband who uses his misguided energy.....now on much more productive & precious things!

I guess my long winded answer will be....all of it is you! It makes you complete!